I Forge Iron

Speculum oris

Hi Mick,

That one brief line. "It was used to force open the mouths of slaves who were trying to starve themselves on the voyage across the Atlantic."

Followed by the picture. Shows in such a simple item a small taste of the brutality of the slave trade. I didn't know what to say at first and still don't. Other then your post and skill without a lot of fanfare brings to life things that we as a society tend to forget.

Rashelle

You are right Rashelle. When I was approached with this project all they could give me was a simple drawing from a book. with some back literature with it. after reading the first hand accounts on board the slave ship's concerning the use of this and many other atrocities and tools of torture used it was with quite a bit of humility that I presented it to the Museum. a little more back story with this device was that originally it was a 17th century medical tool for lockjaw. I apologize for a lack luster description of the device but I'm new to posting pictures and such and I'm just a quiet type -_-

Slavery has been with us since the beginning, and exists to this day.  We are fortunate that our hearts feel bad seeing instruments like this, knowing their purpose.

Your craftsmanship is superb and I wouldn't think twice about what happened 200 years ago.  You do good work.

Slavery has been with us since the beginning, and exists to this day.  We are fortunate that our hearts feel bad seeing instruments like this, knowing their purpose.

Your craftsmanship is superb and I wouldn't think twice about what happened 200 years ago.  You do good work.

Well said.