I Forge Iron

Blacksmith associations

Hello all,

I'm just getting into blacksmithing and am at the stage where I would benefit from being able to find some others interested in the craft in my area. Does anyone know of any groups in NSW? I ask here only because this is the only Australian group I have found online.

Thanks,

Leon.

What's this

More Australians, welcome aboard folks. First there was a trickle then there was a flood. Leon there is anorher mob out around Tamworth, but I know nussing. You'ld have to perhaps pop in to a local pub or post office and ask around.

There's another crowd in a suburb of Sydney called Melbourne at least that's what they'd have you believe :) They can be found at

Australian Blacksmiths Assocation (Vic) Incorporated - Welcome

Hey Leon, just wondering if any of the info. that's been posted so far, has been useful for you? We're all here to help. Are you aware of Alan Ball's Hot Iron Muster in Brisbane? It's comming up in September. I believe they are very good. A full week of blacksmithing! Way to go!

• 8 months later...

G'day Ratel, The Hot Iron Muster is being held again this year from 28th. Sept.-Oct. 3rd. at Alan Ball's smithy in Logan Village Queensland. He is located about 50 km. south, south-east from Brisbane. I believe it is always well attended, although I haven't been lucky enough to attend one. Sunday the 28th. is a demonstration day, with the hands on workshop starting the next day, Monday. Alan normally has a well known smith from the U.S.A. lead the workshop. For more information, contact Alan Ball via their website. The Village Smith
Hope this is of some help.
Regards, Brian.

• 1 year later...

Hi All

I am new to the sight, just joined today. I need to find a workshop or a class or some sought of training that i can learn Blacksmithing and potentially Bladesmithing.. that is my goal. I live near Crescent Head NSW and just want to learn anything that anyone would be willing to teach.

Thanks
Cindy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cindy
There is a bloke that lives out at Hickeys Creek/Torooka on the bellbrook road who is a member of ABANSW, pretty good smith too. I have a feeling that he also gives classes and lessons, if I can remember his name I'll post it, its on the tip of my tongue. Yes I have some local Macleay knowledge (went to school in Kempsey).

Phil

• 8 months later...

Hi, for all those interested in the Tamworth group, it's called "The Peel River Artist Blacksmiths" & we work out of a large craft centre of around 250 members. The blacksmith group membership runs around 20 or so & meets every second & fourth weekend on both Saturday & Sunday from 8.30am to 4.00pm. I am the Vice-President/Treasurer & can be contacted by email on johnleet45@hotmail.com for more info.