I Forge Iron

Hey fellows!

Last weekend I visited Joe to pick up a new military style portable forge I bought from him. We took this occasion to also work together for one day. Matt charged us to forge a rounding hammer for him and that fit very well because Joe wanted me to show him how to forge one anyway. I myself was taught by Alec how to forge them and he learned it from Brian... so it was basically forged with the techniques Brian Brazeal teaches at the moment.

The hammer was forged out of 40mm car axle steel, the billet was 8cm long. After grinding it weighs 790g (1,75lbs) and is now ready for heat treatment. After that and a final polish it will be shipped to the US where Matt will hopefully have a lot of fun with it  :). 

Right side with my initials (Daniel Lea):

856195_506190446086201_633395184_o.jpg

Left side with Joe´s initials (TechnicusJoe):

812809_506190509419528_1591437509_o.jpg

Bottom side with shoe shining:

860349_506190579419521_842003213_o.jpg

top side

859116_506190699419509_1474802793_o.jpg

Unfortunatly there is no video of the entire process :(, although there might be some shreds of video coming up soon ;).

Yours

- Daniel

Daniel I got the hammer you and Sir Alec forged for me, It is great ! Better than I had hoped for. Brian sure can teach, and young blacksmiths like you and Alec  ARE the future of our craft. It will be a bright future. This hammer is a treasured addition to my tool kit . A valuable addition seeing the prices asked for them. Mine is NOT for sale , nor will it ever be. Thanks for all the care and craftsmanship you two put into it.

Daniel I got the hammer you and Sir Alec forged for me, It is great ! Better than I had hoped for. Brian sure can teach, and young blacksmiths like you and Alec  ARE the future of our craft. It will be a bright future. This hammer is a treasured addition to my tool kit . A valuable addition seeing the prices asked for them. Mine is NOT for sale , nor will it ever be. Thanks for all the care and craftsmanship you two put into it.

Danny there is a value in your hammer that no currency in the world
could pay. It is made by friends with friends for friends. It is a unique
piece. It´s shape is influenced by the character and the emotion of the
blacksmith and his striker in each moment of the forging process. It is more
than just a tool it is expression of all the countless influences it had until
it arrived at your place. It was an honor for me to make this hammer for you
together with Alec. I hope it will service you well and that you pass it on to
somebody that knows about the true value of that piece of craftsmanship!

The hammer will be placed in Brian Brazeal's collection of tools made by young blacksmiths he has taught . He asked me to will it to him and I IMMEDIATLY offered to trade it for one made by him! Sir Alec agreed, as did Brian . I did not want anyone waiting for my demise for any reason! So it moves on!

The hammer will be placed in Brian Brazeal's collection of tools made by young blacksmiths he has taught . He asked me to will it to him and I IMMEDIATLY offered to trade it for one made by him! Sir Alec agreed, as did Brian . I did not want anyone waiting for my demise for any reason! So it moves on!

Ok nice, at Brian´s it is in good hands  :)!!!