I Forge Iron

Request for Help Making Copper Bull Rush

catceefer

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make the rounded ends on some copper bull rushes? I have tried two methods

1) Slitting the end of a piece of 10mm pipe in a few places, pressing the ends together to make a taper and brazing the slits back up again. This looked just that: a brazed slit and would need a huge amount of fiing and sanding to shape.

2) Making a copper hemisphere to sit on the end of the pipe and brazing it on. This may have worked, but I have been unable to keep the cap in place whist trying to braze it and it kept falling off. I gave up after losing three.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,

James.

Easy peasy!!  Just forge the ends of a tube shut!  You can put a wire spike in one end and a stem in the other!  Simple stuff and there are some old threads here on it though I think they used iron... same technique though.  I would do it with my power hammer but you could also use a guillotine tool.  You could even do it free hand over a fuller with a nice rounded peen.  

Remember that if the copper starts getting hard and brittle as you work it
(work hardening), you can hit it with the torch 'til it's dull red and then
quench it. It will be annealed and malleable again.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make the rounded ends on some copper bull rushes? I have tried two methods

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,

James.

Here is a pic or two of a steel one, made from tube and solid rod centre,  fished out from the old samples/scrap pile

post-816-0-46356400-1362050569_thumb.jpg  post-816-0-25355500-1362050490_thumb.jpg

ends are fullered in to give radius, leaving a small hole through centre through which the stem will fit

then cut off with hacksaw at the centre of each fullering,

and then secure by silver soldering, 

Forge leafs

fix leafs to stem

• 3 weeks later...

Further to the suggestions made here, and a little other research, I made this tool to make the rounded ends on bull rushes. It works very well, allowing me to take a 15mm pipe down to almost nothing, with nice rounded shoulders, by working through the different sized holes. I just need to polish to working faces a little as they leave marks where I ground them to shape.

Regards,

James.post-28331-0-22181400-1363552782_thumb.j