I Forge Iron

Can someone help me with my new anvil?

I just bought a Hay Budden anvil from a guy and he said it weighs 170#.  I think it weighs more.  Here are the markings I found on it.  166624 under the horn on the base closest to the bottom I think this is the serial number.  Therer is a 2 and then a square hole and a 2 on the other side of the square hole right under the horn.  Under Brooklyn NY are the numbers 208 or 206, I think that this is how much it weighs.  He gave me 5 hardy tools to go with it.  He wanted $500 but I was able to get it for $375.  How did I do?  I know I'm new at this so don't be too disgruntled with me if I messed up.  I'll post some pics of it once I figure out how to do that here.  I just signed up on this forum, never done this before either.

To post pics, make sure they are 600X800 pixles, then click more reply options on the reply tab, then select add files to post. They should upload. Then you click "add to post".

Sounds like you did great! Welcome to IFI, as well! Start at the beginning, read the beginner posts, you will learn a lot. A lot of questions have already been answered. Don't hesitate to ask, just try and find the answer first. If you can't find it, ask. We are happy to help! Also, post your location on your profile and maybe there will be smiths around your area who you can frge with.

All in all, a great buy! Do the hardies fit to your anvil? Let us see pictures, if you will. We love pictures! :)

I just bought a Hay Budden anvil from a guy and he said it weighs 170#.  I think it weighs more.  Here are the markings I found on it.  166624 under the horn on the base closest to the bottom I think this is the serial number.  Therer is a 2 and then a square hole and a 2 on the other side of the square hole right under the horn.  Under Brooklyn NY are the numbers 208 or 206, I think that this is how much it weighs.  He gave me 5 hardy tools to go with it.  He wanted $500 but I was able to get it for $375.  How did I do?  I know I'm new at this so don't be too disgruntled with me if I messed up.  I'll post some pics of it once I figure out how to do that here.  I just signed up on this forum, never done this before either.

This wasn't by chance a purchase made off the Pensacola craigslist, because just last week I spoke with a woman on a 170# hay budden that was clearly marked 20(5?)... Location and pics help out greatly $375 for a #170 budden is a great deal, if it is in fact 200+ good on you for wheeling and dealing...

Make, Condition, Size, LOCATION all play a part in value---like me saying "I bought a Nissan Pickup for $4000---is that a good deal?"  The one in the picture is in good using shape, good make, location is not the high point of anvil prices but is definitely not the low point either, size is a great hobby shop size and so that is a good deal!