I Forge Iron

brazing stainless

I've got a problem brazing a drain tube to some deep drawn stainless vessels.I've got no experience with thin stainless so I just don't know whats going on.The stainless looks to be about 26 ga  and the drain tubes are 3/8 od with a wall thickness of 1/8. I braze the tube in place and then complete the connection by running a drill bit down through the middle of the tube through the stainless flat material. and it gives me a nice neat connection but everytime   I end up with fractures in the thin stainless through the zone where the brazing was done. I tried silicon bronze rod and had the same results.The stainless is paper thin and I know it has a lot of stress on it from the forming operation and the tubing is of a relatively thicker cross section, could the differental cooling be the problem?  I started off trying to TIG it but I end up blowing holes through the base material.Any suggestions? Bob.

The only thing I could suggest is to try silver solder. When you were TIG welding did you use a argon purge? What was yout torch set up? I would be using a .045 tungstung and a gas lens and a very low amperage setting. I think you should be able to TIG weld it.

I would Tig weld it with 308 -.30 tc rod  heat mim low amps also if can use 1/16 tunstun or smaller

I do this all the time though getting hard to see that small of a weld :wacko:

you can also solder it they make a spical rod + flux kit for that never have tried it yet ?? but its on my play with / try  list

Steve's Welding

Thank you all for the advice, maybe the silver solder would be easiest for me to try next, I called the local supply house and they said they have got a Harris product 56FC that is designed just for good flowing with stainless used in food industry. I also wonder about the cracks I was getting on the thin stainless ,  the cracks werent at the joint but 1/4 -3/8 " from the tubing connection. I wonder if the thin material is cooling too fast in relation to the tubing. Maybe I'll bed it all in sand and the second I'm done with the torch pour more sand  over it all for a few minutes to cool. Maybe with the brazing rod I was over heating too long while fiddling with it trying to get a nice clean flow all the way around the tubing and the proper silver solder will make all the difference.Thanks again for the advice,Bob.