I Forge Iron

Bellota hammers?

Butterfield

I'm new to smithing and need a hammer (something between the 1 lb ball peen and 4 lb small sledge I have now). There is a local farrier supply that carries a 2 lb Bellota cross peen. I used a similair weight cross peen in my recent class. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the brand?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000SDGV8E/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1

I'm new to smithing and need a hammer (something between the 1 lb ball peen and 4 lb small sledge I have now). There is a local farrier supply that carries a 2 lb Bellota cross peen. I used a similair weight cross peen in my recent class. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the brand?

I've only known their rasps, but they make a good rasp and have been in business a long time.

Bellotta, isn't that sold mostly in Europe and South America? I had a square faced cross peen hammer that was made in Spain that I bought from a Mexican for $2 and sold to another smith for $20 just because he thought it would be so cool to have  a square faced cross peen. I thought that by asking $20 for it he'd choke on the price and not buy it but I was wrong. ;)

Bellotta is a good hammer. I have several. All their tools are good. Go ahead and buy them :)

Mac, that is to large a question to be adequately answered here but look at fullers, most are straight.  You angle the hammer face to use the edge as a straight pein.  Look at the many videos on You Tube.

With all this said watch Brian's video on You Tube.  He uses a round faced Rounding Hammer.

Mac, that is to large a question to be adequately answered here but look at fullers, most are straight.  You angle the hammer face to use the edge as a straight pein.  Look at the many videos on You Tube.

With all this said watch Brian's video on You Tube.  He uses a round faced Rounding Hammer.

Ah yes, I see what you're saying now. Seems like horses for courses if you ask me.
Most of my hammers have round faces. I've only two that are square that come to mind. And one of those is a very light hammer I only use when making arrow heads.

As a side note, I like to handle my hammers before I buy them. A hammer is generally quite a personal preference, like a hatchet, if it doesn't feel right in the hand it's just no good to you.

All the best
Andy