I Forge Iron

rr track questions

hey guys im new to this forum but i havent gotten a real anvil so my question is are there any limits to what i can make on it im not trying to make hatchets or anything big but i have no way of milling it flat or shaping to look like an anvil so any help or insight would be great thanks

Here's what I did with mine.  I flipped it upside down and welded it to a heavy base.  I used heavy plate to box in the edges.  The whole thing wieghs 150lbs+ and works well for bladesmithing.  I even used a 12lb sledge on it.  It is inferior to the Fisher anvil I'm using now but still has some advantages as the large, flat surface with no horn to get in the way works well for blades.

ok i was just wondering i mean i know where there is a what i belive is a peter wright thats i think is 100 to 120 pounds in pretty good shape no huge chips cracks an almost flat face and it rings good to me but they want 200$ for it and im kinda on the fence about buying it what do yall think like i said im not making anything huge but i dont want everything i make to come out skrewed up in the end result

moutinsmith...  if you can get rr rail cheap/free... get a 4 to 6 ft piece and set that bugger like a fence post..... use the end section of the rr rail cap to forge on.... it will out work ANY rrrail anvil... keep a smaller piece of rail off to the side for flatting and straighting.....