I Forge Iron

Hill Birmingham 235lbs

I picked up this 235lb Isaac Hill Birmingham anvil today.  It took a while for me to figure out the manufacturer (rubbing chalk on the maker's mark really helped).  I paid $125 for it.  Seems like a good deal to me.  

Specs: 

Face: 15.5" x 5"

Hardie: 1"

Pritchel: 5/8"

Weight:  2 0 11 = 235lbs  (and my back knows it)

It seems to be in decent shape to me.  I put a straight edge on the face and there is less than 1/16" sway in the middle of the face.  The face also has some dings and the edges have some chips but not bad.

Any recommendations on what/if I should do to the anvil face and edge? 

Thanks for your input

Bill

post-28846-0-69846500-1358018659_thumb.j

post-28846-0-44507700-1358018662_thumb.j

post-28846-0-89245000-1358018665_thumb.j

post-28846-0-07037600-1358018670_thumb.j

Happy New Year,

You have an excellent candidate for keeping you working!! Don't worry about a little sway in the face, that works well for straightening things out. Get used to working with all the anvil, the top face, the sides, different radius on the edges, the horn and cutting table. All parts of the anvil are to be used, not just the face. Don't try to make the anvil like new, it is probably older than you and think about all the experience that it has, to teach you with. Make the appropriate tools to fit "YOUR" Anvil. Enjoy it for what it is!! :) :)

With time, it will teach you what it can do. Much more than you can see now.

Neil

What a great deal you got on that baby!  Any time you can get an anvil in that good a condition, and not pay more than a buck a pound, you're doing great.

As for getting it ready for work, don't do anything.  The top is in excellent shape, and she's ready for working on right now.  Spend quality time with her and learn her idiosyncrasies.  She'll do ya right!

Thanks guys.  I think I'll just clean off some of the rust and paint with a wire wheel and wipe it down with some linseed oil like others have mentioned on the forum.  Hopefully by spring, I'll get a stand and forge put together then put it to use.