I Forge Iron

Servus from Bavaria!

Der_Hannes

Hi!

My name is Hannes and i come from Freising/ Bavaria.

I came to this site because of my leg vise addiction.

After a short visit i found so many topics that answered many questions i could not find so far.

Like repairing leg vise screw box, making anvil stands and so on.

I did my apprenticeship as Metal Engineer some while ago and now doing my master.

In my apprenticeship i found a small 171lb bohemian form forged Anvil and a semi mobile forge in the workshop. So i started blacksmithing as a hobby and had a lot of fun.

Both the anvil and the forge are mine now.

Short time ago i cleaned out my parents' shed and made place for my babys.

Also a workbench followed and most projects i have can now be realized when i visit my parents.

Some time ago i got a about 381 lb cast anvil with welded face. South german form.

Beauty!

I'm most interested in making tools and restoring old tools like my leg vise.

Forging tongs in different sizes and forms is now my main attention; I guess you can learn alot while doing.

I am looking forward reading more interesting topics on this site!

Hannes

post-30320-0-30752700-1358007190_thumb.j

post-30320-0-55350400-1358007193_thumb.j

post-30320-0-67329000-1358007196_thumb.j

Guten Abend from Southern Indiana. I spent 28 months in Hanau au Main in the 70's and visited Bavaria several times.

I apprentised under a Goldsmeider in Hanau doring my off hours and he tried valiently to teach me German. I spoke German and he English in our conversations to allow us both to practice. He often told me my german sounded more like Bariesch:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hannes,

That is a great vice!  It has much larger and stronger side plates that the English style vices most here in the U.S. are used to seeing.  Ours seldom have a square leg either!  It is nice to see different styles of construction in Blacksmithing tools.  Welcome from Northern New York!

Steve