I Forge Iron

English Anvils, no discernable markings, just dimensions... ID???

Tomorrow, I'm taking a look at this anvil... Owner purchased it in a garage sale as a barn ornament. I'm definitely interested in it, as its condition seems to be excellent... Are there any discernable characteristics that could identify it? Some of you gents are also able to work the weight through dimensions... just wondering how heavy it might be, and if anybody could guess whom manufactured it... wrought with forged steel plate is a given.... 

2012-10-09_10-43-01_820_zps285bd2b1.jpg

2012-10-09_10-42-31_897_zpscc14bf69.jpg

2012-10-09_10-42-06_766_zps4b27eee8.jpg

2012-10-09_10-45-44_459_zps0222a32e.jpg

A Mousehole type English import in pretty good shape for it's age.   DON'T pay any extra for that POS hardy, you can forge a better one in an hour or less.  Tell the seller he can keep it.   Also for the sake of negotiation you should tell the guy that you will have to put some time into cutting it off that odd rolling stand.

1.1.5 would be 145#. My Mousehole is 1.1.10 and is 150.

Sorry, my bad... didn't annotate the 15 at the end... Id'd the first and second, the measuring tape, that measures height blocked the middle 1... The owner was out in the barn when I called, she had never noticed those numbers before... I keep looking above the carat weight and seeing that arched text... I see a solid H, and that's it... lol.. I'm new to all this but I'm thinkings it's a queen, a foster, or a no-named...

I let her know the gist of what it was worth, as she really didn't have any idea... Told her about the $1-$3 a pound based on condition, quality, location... I told her that her location put her in the realm of $3 + a pound, especially with the market... she could very well get $4-5$ a pound on ebay as well... I try to be honest, doesn't always work out in my favor, but in this case it did... She said $250 and it's mine, and thanked me for my honesty... Finally, it paid off!!!! ... I will give it a once over when I get there, but It's visual condition seems immaculate, and it comes with a hardy and a stand...

@ $1.61 a pound I think it's a steal, and I can't wait to work steel on it... From what she said, that stand, base and table are solid plate steel... that steering castor wheel looks like a bushhog blade to me... just to give you an idea of weight... That stand is pretty cool, but I'll probably cannibalize it for something else...

Why would you want wheels on an anvil?  They would say I wanted to make it easy to move. I would then ask why do you want it to move its not supposed to be easy to move?   and they would stop talking....

Or they ask why do you shoot them up in the air? They aren't supposed to fly???? :D

I will have it by noon tomorrow... I'll report back with a better pics...

So... It followed me home... I couldn't make well on the rebound test at the point of sale, as it had a really thick coat of pant all over it... I made sure to take a key to all those questionable areas that someone would patch it with resin, and it was all good... took it home, stripped it, at dropped a small ball been on it and thud... felt weak... cut it out of the stand tried again, thud... no real mentionable rebound or sound for that matter... So I wire brushed it to life. taking a good amount of gummed up corrosion, and tried to identify it by throwing powder on it... I spent a good hour looking for anything, and all I could find was an S... As seen below...

IMG_0191_zps24470618.jpg

IMG_0190_zps0c1b4d66.jpg

And here... above the middle carat weight, up about 2-3" there seems to be the bottom part of an X... which leads me to believe that it might be a Wilkinson's Queen Dudley 

IMG_0188_zps180a9157.jpg

I'm still not %100 sure...

Honestly couldn't find squat on the other side...

IMG_0195_zpsdab2528e.jpg

After a few rounds of wd40 and a wire brush she started to clean up really well... the face is in amazing condition...And I hear a fait ting when i bounced the hammer off the heel... more  and more brushing and the rebound started to become very pronounced along with the ringing all you guys are talking about... I can't wait to work with it... 

IMG_0202_zps30e9eeb9.jpg

IMG_0197_zps1c3ad4a5.jpg