I Forge Iron

Tongs for very thin round bar?

Everything Mac

Hi guys,
I've got an order for some very small belt buckles. Very similar to pennanular brooches about 1" across.

I had a trial run with some 1/4" round bar the other day but this was too big and really I think I ought to use 1/8"

I really struggled to hold the bar when it was this small, particularly once I'd started forming it into the round shape.

Do any if you have tongs designed for stuff this small? Can anyone recommend a design I could replicate.

Cheers
Andy

Bolt tongs can be small, but pincer tongs might be more useful. You could alter a flat jawed tong. Each jaw is concavo-convex, the convex being on the outside. Where the ends curve to meet and butt, there is a central, 90 degree, vee notch on each. The small piece that you are forging fits between the two notches.

I used to make a lot of 1/4" stuff and built several sets of tongs specifically for those jobs.  I made a small flat jaw design with a shallow "V" in each jaw but also forged a shallow "U" at the tip of each jaw perpendicular across the vee; so each jaw had a groove shape like this - Ψ - that allowed me to hold straight or bent stock.  Tongs meant for welding chain often looks something like this (which is where I got the idea).

Yeah. It's easy enough but I have to cut it and form a second scroll, which is when it gets hard.
I'll try and mak some fine tongs for the job. Seems the best way to go.

The job is actually for free. The guy is making me an arm guard for when I do archery. It'll be a nice custom piece and I reckon he'll become a good customer in the future too.

Cheers guys
Andy

I had a bunch of 4140 steel 1/4" in dia. and made tongs out of it pick up, bolt head, and arrow head tongs. Used a chisel to put fine gripper lines in the pick up tongs they work great making things with horse shoe nails. I have seen people weld pipe to the handles of pliers and use them as well for small stock.