I Forge Iron

Is a Bufco blower enough for a charcoal forge?

Toadstone

I - like many others - am still in the planning stages of smithing. As soon as I can move out of this stupid apartment, I plan to build a charcoal forge and get started. After reading lots of posts on lots of different forums to educate myself, I have determined that when the time comes, I would like to use a hand-cranked blower. It will be used in a side-blast, non-water-cooled configuration, just a thick-walled steel pipe passed through some fire brick.

My question is this: Will a small Buffalo Forge Co. "Bufco" blower be sufficient in this capacity?

I have learned that charcoal only requires 50 cfm or less. I can't seem to find any data about cfms for this blower, and I was hoping that some of you out there who own them could help me out.

To avoid confusion, I'm talking about the Buffalo blower seen in these pictures posted by hammerkid:

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/image/23628-my-champion-blower-old-buffalo-bufco-beside-each-other/

Thanks!

Probably too much air unless you crank slowly. Charcoal takes less air.

As for 50 CFM is that for a forge 4' wide and 4' long and 7 feet deep or for one built from a 9" skillet? There is no standard size and so no standard amount of air needed. You can build your forge to match your blower or source your blower to match your forge. Either way works.

I used my Champion 400 blower for a charcoal fire in my Champion Whirlwind Firepot-one good turn brought 5/8" steel up to a bright orange in about ten seconds. I like using charcoal, I found. You have to keep it well stocked though, and too much air will do you no good but to burn the fire quickly.