I Forge Iron

Is it Magic or normal rebound for an anvil?

photo74_zpse7a4ae53.jpg

Just picked these guys up the other day; a 110 Fisher, and a really interesting ASO... Guy wanted 200 for the Fisher 40 for the ASO, and figured why not try and make a deal for the both of them... So walked away dishing out $200...lol

I've been beating on a RR track post anvil for the last 4 months so when it came time to do the rebound test on the fisher with a ball peen hammer, I didn't know what to expect... Needless to say, I was caught off guard and nearly ate the round end of the ball peen... Wow! So this is what rebound is... Having never felt it, seen it, or experienced it at that level, I simply assume that it's magic. I have to say that I'm quite impressed!!! The Fisher rebound was just fantastic, have to say that it's better than 85%, and I'm the scrutinizing type due to my inexperience with rebound tests...

The ASO is quite unique. The bottom has a swage/dapping block... The rebound is pretty good too, far better than my RR track, closer to 50-60%, nothing like the Fisher... Theres also a #2 between the feet, and a trademark (diamond with an LTC??? LTG???)... I'll more than likely flip it, trade it, etc... Just interested in who manufactured it, because it's quite an ingenious design... Chilled semi-steel ASO, but quite cool... 

Two nice anvils.

That little one is not an ASO.  ASO's have less than 5% rebound typically.  50% rebound is actually pretty good historically.  You did good.  Yes, there is a lot better out there, but that is a good little anvil for the right uses.  Put it up safe when you are not using it.

Phil

You could sell the little "Bench top Anvil" on ebay it would prob get you $50.00 at least plus shipping. See if it will fit in a flat rate box from USPS, or find a good heavy wall box and weigh it, then calculate shipping across country using Parcel Post and base your shipping cost on that. USPS is the cheapest way to ship now I have checked all the others and they always come up lower

Good deal. There was a guy at the flea market that wanted to trade me a Columbia vise for the little one... He seemed to have a lot of interest and enthusiasm about the trade, and based on that I felt that I might have something more than an ASO, so I kept it... I probably backed out of a good trade, but the market for anvils here in FL is small... Figure theres 20 vises to every anvil on CL... I researched the semi-steel anvil, and all I was getting back was ASO, cheap, rebounds like concrete, but upon rebound test it's definitely not concrete...

The Fisher's the real score here... Never thought I'd have that much soul...

I would suggest keeping the small one there are plenty of things you will find it very useful for.  I have 3 different sizes of anvils that each work well for different things.  I have a small one just like that one and I have gotten a lot of use out of it in my basement shop.  Worth keeping imho.