I Forge Iron

Coke forge complete rundown,

mechanicsage

Hi guys i need a complete rundown on a good coke forge, how should i run the forge/manage it while in use, Seeing as the smiths around me dont have much experience at all in running a coke forge any and all help is appreciated. :) 

So far i have a 3" deep by 12" wide by 13.5" long cast iron fire pot, with a 3" inner diameter tuyere. 

the table im mounting the fite pot on is a 5mm thick steel plate that is 1000mm by 800mm, 

How much air is needed and also what kind of preasure, also does anyone have any good ideas for a clinker breaker substitute, 

Also the coke that im using, im not sure on the quality, can anyone tell me,

1958D453-F9BE-47C0-9F1B-2DEDA8CE081F-123

C63FE448-9D2C-4830-A7E3-B3D7099164A9-123

536F8C1F-B8DA-41EA-91B0-5EAEF196C435-123

Fire Pot:

0C3FCF8D-F86D-4831-A4E1-0116919FA4CB-182

A737F430-7EFF-48FE-8598-113CDDDD81E3-182

B168719B-E199-469E-B840-8D2572E4963D-182

Any help is appreciated guys.

That pot is set up for a triangular clinker breaker.  Find a "long" round rod that completly fills and turns freely in the space through the tue joint in the assembled picture.  Then cut some plate that is a similar thickness as the firepot (probably 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick) so it is smaller than the tue opening so there is an even gap.  This gets bolted or welded to the rod, which will end up having a handle bent or attached.  The weight of the handle hanging will keep the breaker level. 

The triangular back is not needed, but can be made and welded on.  You can also use a piece of pipe that fits over the selected rod, drill and tap from the "cold", and have the breaker adjustable in case your bends are off.

http://www.centaurforge.com/Rod-Clinker_Breaker-Ball-Assembly-for-all-Centaur-Firepots/productinfo/RODBALL/

Alternately you can take some 1/2 inch stock, bend a U or O that fits in the opening (cold or hot) and weld that to a rod that fits the openings in the assembled picture.  This will give you a 3 bar grate, with about 1/2 inch spaces.

All measurements should be adjusted to materials available and dimensions of your equipment.

You will also need a flap or cover for the bottom of the ash dump.  I don't see that pictured.  You can use heavy sheetmetal as this may get hot, but it is not containing a fire.

Phil

I have attached a few pictures of what you are going to need. 

The first picture shows the top or fire side of the clinker braker

note that the triangle is offset with the two stepper sides going down into the tuyere. The rod goes in the grove on your tuyere and fire pot. 

The last picture is an ash dump made from basic materials. Looks like you have a pivot point on yours already.

As for a fan, hand crank will work, I use one all the time. Its a champion 400

post-6253-0-89695700-1355883752_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-84336800-1355883765_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-23783300-1355883778_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-73523500-1355883791_thumb.jp

Coke has already had the impurities burned out of it.  It's a very "clean" product, and you can make your own coke by slow-cooking straight coal around the perimeter of your forge fire.  Clinkers are the bad juju running out of the coal fire's heat zone and solidifying in the colder spot down by the air spout.

You'll definitely want a grill over that big hole in the pot, and a triangular clinker breaker is the best bet just in case you start burning straight coal.

VaughnT, I don't know if you use it much, but the coke that mechanicsage is talking about has actually had the useful compounds (gas/alcohols/oils/tar) removed from it by heating in an inert atmosphere. What is left is carbon, and the various silicates and other crud which turn into clinkers.

Which is to say, you will get plenty of clinkers from coke, and will therefore presumably need a clinker breaker.