I Forge Iron

One Proud Bladesmith

Jon Smith

So I've made a few knives before, but this is the first one I'm not completely ashamed to show to the good people on here. Please feel free to tell me how I can improve, it's how I learn.

The blade is 5160 spring steel 4" long, the bolsters are 1020 mild, and the pins are copper. It's all hand filed with a flat grind and hand rubbed to 400 grit. OAL is 8.5" and the scales are mahogany with a clear coat of gun stock finish.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/image/36513-img-0426/

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/image/36512-img-0423/

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/image/36510-img-0428/

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/image/36509-img-0427/

As a side note, I have about 5 hours work in it, but that's just because I'm slow. Anyone have a clue what it might be worth, aside from the obvious "what a buyer will pay for it"?

• 2 months later...

Pricing work is a  real tough question. i will nto do it but have a couple of thought that may help.

Arizona custom knives. and AGrussel have on line sales catalogs that have pictures with ;prices of work that has been consigned to them. The sel and take a little off the top and the maker or consignor gets a check.

For you that means you can look at those catalogs on line and see if you can find similiar work to yours and see the asking price.

Both of those places are commited to getting work that is well done. Fit and finish is a big thing.

The other thing to consider is if youi sell too cheap for your early work it is tough to raise prices later.

There  must be knife or gun shows in your area you can attend and see wot is offered for sale and get a hands on view of wot is out there. In The spring in Atlanta is the biggest knfe show I know of..You should attend and spend two days, looking, and most makers would look at yourpiece and give a thought or several...hard to do with just a pic...Check to see if there are any knife makers in your area,,,I bet there is,,,up to youi to find them...and contact and see if they will take a look.

I asked that same question once, wow it was brutal.  What would you be willing to pay for that knife?  What will the market bear?  Note, I do use a power sander on my blades and generally spend at least 7-8 hours on the same size blade (I'm impatient too).  Before selling, use your knives for a while to get a feel for how well they work.  I can always tell a tool (knives included) that is made by someone who doesn't use them. 

It is a good start, in a few years look back at this knife and see just how far you have come ;) .

I've spent 5 hours cleaning guards alone.....Just me. I never rush. I do a bunch of work then put it aside. Look again tomorrow, you'll see stuff you were OK with the day before. First goal for me was to make a decent knife, then pretty comes later. Nice work there and worthy of attention. Keep them coming each one will be better than the last!

Nice work.  The pricing question is a tough one that more experienced folks have already tried to answer.  I've been to a few knife shows and I've seen a fair amount of really nice work.  The truth is, it's nearly always out of my price range.  I find the same thing at art shows. 

Unable to do much about it, I often thank the maker for coming and sharing their work. 

There is very little available for the $100 and under crowd that isn't mass produced.  That isn't much to live on unless you're working fast.  My hat's off to the folks who make knives for a living- it can't be easy.

Nice work.  The pricing question is a tough one that more experienced folks have already tried to answer.  I've been to a few knife shows and I've seen a fair amount of really nice work.  The truth is, it's nearly always out of my price range.  I find the same thing at art shows. 

Unable to do much about it, I often thank the maker for coming and sharing their work. 

There is very little available for the $100 and under crowd that isn't mass produced.  That isn't much to live on unless you're working fast.  My hat's off to the folks who make knives for a living- it can't be easy.

This is true, and is the market I target.  Most folks cant shell out $400 for a knife that they won't use but are willing to shell out a little more than what a decent factory blade.  The draw back is I'm not putting myself in the big dollar market, nor are those who collect really interested in my work.  The great thing is I get to put a quality handmade knife in the hand of someone who will use it (that's why I say use your knives).

The real gratification comes when you see that person 6 months to a year later and they still love their knife, and when they show you it and you can tell it has been well used, that's an honor.