I Forge Iron

oxygen and what gas?

I've lost an article that compaired propane and acetylene as gasses for heating purposes only. I know acetylene has more uses such as cutting and welding. What I would like is opinions and comparisons (prices, btu, general ease of use) between the two gases for simply heating local areas of bar stock. If memory serves me correctly the article leaned toward a propane/oygen mix for spot heating. Thanks

I saw a demo on 'propylene gas' as the fuel. you get 100% use of the gas vs. 85% acy. A 65# bottle will out last five 300cu.ft. acetylene bottles. And I qoute: "Propylene is the most dominant fuel gas used in the U.S. metal working market. It is the most efficient fuel being used in shops for the cutting, heating, gouging, brazing, flame hardening, and metalizing. Wh? Because propylene provides slag free cuts, faster preheat, no flashback, less handling, more productive cutting speeds and it costs less than acetylene! Increased safety, increased production, increased quality cuts, at a substantial cost savings!" end quote. You cannot use it to gas weld steel but you can do anything else with it. I cut a piece of 1/2" x 4" CS with the torch tip 6" away form the work piece! You can lay the rosebud tip down on the piece (at a slight angle) with no blowback, you can lay the cutting tip against the workpiece to bevel pipe/plate with no blowback. I did all of this so I KNOW it will do it. amazing stuff. I have been in this trade since 1973 and have used every other fuel gas out there...this is the best, hands down. I am going to start using it in my shop at home, (starting this weekend)! You do need different tips for cutting and they recommend to use 2 sizes larger for heating/brazing than you normally would with acetylene. Sorry for the LONG post but this was great to see, besides, YOU asked. ;)

I prefer to use oxy-acetylene, but, propane is much cheaper and safer. Acetylene is an unstable gas. All you need to convert an oxy-acetylene rig to propane is a new tip and the right grade hoses. A friend uses propane and uses one 20 pound cylinder to something like five of the big oxy cylinders. There is a trick to lighting propane but it's no big deal.

Dave