I Forge Iron

Shearing many small pieces..need a fab shop contact

Richard Furrer

Hello All,

Anyone know a fab shop who wants to shear some specific sizes from sheet for me?

I have spoken to five shops in my area and been turned away by four and waiting a week for a quote from another.

I'm not opposed to laser cutting, but feel this is a job for an automated shear.

I may end up buying a small shear (minimum 1/8" x 24" capacity) for this gig and slowly doing it myself, but I'd rather locate a cnc shearing shop.

I need 20,000 small pieces cut from sheet. Target size is mostly 0.25"x 6" from under 60 thou material...need them flat... not made into curls by a poorly tuned shear or throat-less Beverly type hand shear.

Please don't bother telling me to buy slit strip from a supplier...the job is shearing these from small sheet not sourcing new raw material. It is a peculiar specialty job and it requires shearing.

If I can not find a shop then I am open to a shear if anyone knows/has one for sale.

Ric

Might be lots of shops in the Chicago area Ric.  I don't know them.  If I was buying I would get a new (sharp) tool for that job.  Here is one that looks pretty good and reasonable:     http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_120048_120048  You might be surprised at how quickly you can make headway with one of these foot stompers... I have cut a lot of metal on them.  You need at least 16 gauge capacity... so most of the little bench toppers won't do that... they'd wear you out anyway.  I'd probably figure one of these machines into the bid and then keep it after!  A quick calculation and I get about 8 to 10 hours to do this with one of these machines.  It would take more time to setup the machine than to complete the job... even packaging and time spent discussing it with the customer would dwarf the production time!