I Forge Iron

Forged myself a hammer

Another hammer! I went to the Madison conference a few weeks ago and I learned a lot about forging effectiveness and technique from Tom Clark and Dean Curfman. I've switched up my grip some and the style of this new hammer is a little different. I also wound up winning second place in the forging competition.

2514.attach

Great job TM. If I remember correctly that grip was brought to the USA by Hofi but is used in Europe. I'm sure I will get some feedback on this. Both Mr. Hofi and Tom Clark teach this technique of forging and it sure saves the body AND you move a LOT of metal FAST and EFFECTIVELY.

Thanks guys. Thomas, I think you are right.

And the reason for the short handle is because many of the smiths that use this technique stand back towards the tail to work on the anvil. A long handle will hit the tail when working. With this grip you are really just throwing the hammer into the work.

I started 'throwing' my hammer a while ago. It just made sense and was easier to boot. I tried describing it to one of my friends once and just got a confused look back. It makes the hammer and anvil do the work so you don't have to though. You throw it at the work, and the rebound sets it back up for you! I'll have to start using this grip more with it. I was using it over the weekend though and really liked it.

Hofi learned the technic from Alfred Habberman in Austria, Tom Clark, Rob Gunter. and Bob Becker and countless others have spread the technic around it is very effective and if you learn to do it properly it can save you a world of hurt, I still use more traditional strokes for a lot of things (mainly because it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks...;-)

Brian Braezal and his brother Tom have been organizing trips over to Austria to study with Habberman, I would love to go sometime...

Tyler did you grind off the chrome plating before you forged the chunk square on the power hammer ? I have heard tell that burning off chrome in the fire is not a very safe thing to dooooo... cullumlitive heavy metal poisoning isn't very pretty or any fun. Better safe than sorry, or dead.

Thank you everyone.
I did not take the chrome off before forging it. There was never any smoke or visible fumes. Grinding it off would probably be worse. Unless one was wearing a respirator. The chrome plate actually forges right along with the steel, and eventually becomes so thin that it just comes off.
The handle is a modified Peddinghaus brand handle.

Hello finn
I NEVER studied in Austria with Habermmann or in Germany on the contrary Fredy came three time to my smithy in Israel and we gave classes together.

the hammer that is called the haberman hammer was designed by his grand father and not by him.he studied under his grandfather from the age of 14 to 27 when he made his master degree.

my hammer is COMPLETELY different from the one of Fredy if you get one you can see the different.
My teaching system IS ALSO VERY VERY MUCH DIFFERENT.

the ozark school that is owned by Mr tom clark is also my idea and I built it with my two hands ALL the tools ALL the anvil bases and tools ALL the coke forges system ALL the process plates that are hanging on the wall I forged and fabricated. Bob Gunter and other 500 American smith took classes with me in different schools in the U.S.A.

I tought at the ozark for 4 years and stopped and completely disconnected my relation with Mr Clark because he misbehaved with understatement.

by the way Tsur Saddan that is now teaching at the ozark is my student and studied with me 4 years. Mr Clark was at my smithy 4 times to learn.

FINN it is never too late to learn new good things !!I am 73 and still learning new things every day developing new ideas of forging creating new form of tools and I am working now on a new better and more balanced and ergonomic hammer new gas forge new anvil that I casted now and it is on test. it is beautiful to explore new ways and last word many people write on me things that they ''heard'' from some one which are not right and not accurate, please next time if you write some thing about me check it first.
Hofi

Hofi, are you able to elaborate on where you learned the craft? You must have had at least a few influences on your thinking over the years?
I've only ever read about how completely different your technique is and how your tools are not related to any traditional style. Given that several of the people mentioned were in fact your own students, I don't see how their technique can be so COMPLETELY different - or are you saying they were just bad students?

Hello Esensible
You missunderstood my answer to Finnr took things out of the context !!!!
PLEASE read again and may be it will be more clear to you.
I never had bad students.
my tools ARE different and my TEACHING SYSTEM is very different also.
my be to understand it more come and attend one of my classes.
best regards
Hofi

I can at this point, only dream of being able to attend a class with one of the greats such as yourself Hofi. I attended my first New England Blacksmiths meet this last weekend, and it was more or less the first time I had ever spent time around experienced smiths of any sort. I learned such an increadible amount from people who describe themselves as "beginner hobby smiths with 5 or so years of experience" that I can only imagine what I would be able to learn were I able to afford a proper class at the present time.

I think it is wonderful that so many people are willing to pass on their skills in this craft. Long gone are the days of long apprenticeships, so what people are doing now needs to be passed on in a much different manner than the trade used to be.

What is the best way to purchase one of your hammers, Hofi, in the united states? Someone this weekend was using a Hofi hammer at the blacksmith meet and I had a chance to swing it, and it was increadibly comfortable and very well weighted.