I Forge Iron

Gasket for blower?

I finally got a good days weather after a week solid of rain and did some work on my forge to get it running. I took the blower apart to try and clean it a bit. (Took photos if anyone want's to see them.) What was there for a gasket was on its way out. What could I use to seal the blower again? Would a high temp automotive silicon work?

Any tips/hints are appreciated.

Well here are some of the photos: top, side and taken apart. As for what type of blower it is I don't know. Only markings I can find are 556 on one side and 557 on the other.
I am sure the wife will have something to say when she sees what I was doing on the patio table. :)

2486.attach

2487.attach

2488.attach

Nice blower. First off, I usually wouln't put a gasket in this at all. You will not notice any7 decrease in performance. If I was gonna make a gasket a big Cheerios box might cover it and they are good for you too :D. Silicone would also work but if you are going to paint it (something I also don't do) use household type silicone that is paintable.

Most things that old would ave had a gasket made of either paper, cork, or leather. Any of those will make a good enough replacement, as would any of the modern gasket materials. I would use leather, but that's just me.
Joseff