I Forge Iron

forge welding bolsters in place?

metalmangeler

This is not integral, but a thought may be to tig weld the bolster from the inside edge where it meets the blade handle. If done properly, the weld would should be totally hidden by the handle material. I haven't tried this yet, but hope to in the near future. I do know that bronze welds easily to steel.
John

Hello Darren, I started doing integrals because it seemed like an easy way to make and attatch the bolster plus it should be stronger. Maybe as I learn more I will change my ways. I have some major holes in my knife making experince. I am of course following what Rich and Steve are showing on the knife chat. My background is what the knife guys all say to do, start with leaves ect. then move into knives, only I stayed with the leaves and stuff for about 25 years before going to the knives.

Thanks for the idea John, I don't think I will try that unless the other plans fail, but it should work.