I Forge Iron

Just when I had given up...

I've been thinking for the last month or so that my first anvil was going to be a track anvil.
Well, last night after a local blacksmith guild meeting, I was getting a bite to eat at a bar (best burgers in the county) when the bartender introduces the guy paying his tab next to me as a "horseshoer". Well after a short talk I asked him if he knew anyone with an extra anvil layin' around. Just so happens he did.

I now have in my possession a good condition 152# Peter Wright (by the stone stamps). The only things I see "wrong" are the chip above the stamp (which is very well defined) and a little bit of sway in the horn.
post-28476-0-22159800-1353047399_thumb.jpost-28476-0-63902600-1353047401_thumb.jpost-28476-0-31330200-1353047400_thumb.j
It also came with a stand, 6 tongs (3 gripper, 1 offset rivet/bolt/round stock?, and 2 ???), and a hardy cutter and fuller. All for US$250.
post-28476-0-10724900-1353047403_thumb.jpost-28476-0-53088500-1353047405_thumb.j
Now I've just got to source a forge/fuel, a vice, and maybe some room in the shop once it's built, but I'm not off to a bad start. As a matter of fact I think I owe old boy a beer or 2 for the lead.

BTW: What are the two sets of tongs on the far left for? I think the second one might be for pulling horseshoe nails out.

BTW 2: I'm still probably going to make a rail anvil.

Tongs L to R. 1) Maybe designed for sheet metal. 2) If they are sharp enough to get in a horseshoe crease, they could be nail pullers. 3) Side tongs for getting around obstructions. 4) Flat jawed tongs. 5) Holding rounds from the side? 6) Nice pair of Stanley/Atha flat jawed tongs; the size they hold should be stamped on them.

Overall, a good deal for all that you acquired.

Jerome,

That's a really nice anvil and tools, and an awesome story to go with it!

And you got a stand with it, too... a real jackpot! Now you can go home and use it immediately. You don't even have to wait until you build your own stand.

Congrats on your serendipity.

All the best
Markus

I can definitely see how that first set of tongs could be used for sheet metal.
Now for dressing the edges i hear the most I should go is about a 1/4" radius on the heavy use areas 1/8" on the begining of the heel and leave the last inch or two alone? Exceptin' the chip, might flap that but that's it. These numbers seem kinda small to me, but I guess it is only a bantam/feather weight, for an anvil.