I Forge Iron

Here is the video I promised

George M, I came up with the striking anvil a little over three years ago to help others learn to make tools with a striker. I suggest making them at a good striking height, and out of mild steel. I would not want to let just anyone strike on my anvil. My anvil is too high to strike efficiently on when you add the bottom tool, the tool you are making, and the top tool, so I suggest 30 inches or less for the anvil height. The last one we made was 24 inches high. I have seen people miss when striking. I have made hammers and other tools with people from 12 years old to 88 years old and some of them had never forged before. There have been several people make them since. It is becoming a household word. You just gotta get out more.lol

Dear Brian,

Aha! Thank you. A solution to the problem caused by the stacking of tools. I have thought about having some sort of easily adjustable in height anvil but have never come up with a practical solution. Once, when I had about 4-5 inches of tools and work in the hardy hole I tried standing on a piece of plywood on top of a couple of 4x4s. It worked but didn't feel stable enough for me to repeat the experiment. Also, I was working alone without a striker.

Yes, I probably do need to get out more but living in the rural areas of sparsely populated states (Wyoming & Colorado) works against that.

Yours,
George

Sorry I missed your post there George. Thanks to Brian for answering.

I also wanted the striking anvil for making tools in my anvil. First off, my anvil is too high for comfy striking anyway, and second of all, having a supplimental hole to make tools in, saves the wear on my anvil. Sure the anvil can take it, but might as well stay on the safe side. I don't get to do a whole lot of striking, director / striker work, or teaching, but when I do, the striking anvil as an indispensable tool!