I Forge Iron

dumpster diving

ramsies11

yesterday i was dumpster diving in masonry because the football team threw out about 30 of their old face shields and about 10 old helmets in our dumpster, i proptly took a hammer to the helmets to break off the plastic holding the shields and i strung the 40ish shields together and carried them back to my car. theyre made out of 3/8" round steel stock... atleast i hope its steel, if not, ill get a couple bucks from them in scrap aluminum. but anyway, i planned on burning off this laytex type paint on them and then ill take a grinder to them to cut them up, the smaller pieces that i cant use will go into my scrap bin, the larger pieces ill probably use for roses, S hooks, and coat hangers. i estimated there was probably 5 feet of steel in each one. i did some calculations, and i'm ending up saving about 80 bucks from getting these things, i'm quite happy about that! :D

Mod note: We have stated before, this can be a life threatening endevour, you do not know what is in a dumpster. There can be haz-mat and bio hazards. Do not take this post as advise to do it.

Ramsies11
the only things in the dumpster were pàds, helmets,old uniforms, some offcuts from the block and some old cement. Thats how i knew it was safe. Otherwise i wouldn't of jumped in like i did..

Dumpster diving used to be a reasonably safe way to reclaim discarded materials. That time has long passed. Stepping on the overloaded dirty diaper is the least of your worries. Today you have the bio-hazards and haz-mat hazards that are quickly thrown into the dumpsters and covered. This is the kind of stuff where the government declares the whole area a super fund clean up site.

There was an article in the paper recently where someone had thrown the left overs from a meth lab in a dumpster.

i didnt know it was illegal to go diving, but glenn, i could see the bottom (this is a 20x5 foot dumpster) and we open the side and just roll the wheelborrow in on a ramp. so, i could see what was there and i wore leather gloves and boots. safety first!

The legality of Dumpster diving AKA Tip diving is a *LOCAL* thing. You have to find out the law in *YOUR* *LOCATION*.

Some places it's a "free for all" others it belongs to the company that owns and services the dumpsters.

In general if you *ask* and get permission there is not a problem. If you are polite and neat most of the time the answer has been "yes" for me---not to mention the owners saying "I had all the other stuff that was just to good to throw away---could you use it?"