I Forge Iron

Post election day forging

Secure in the knowledge that I would not want to be at work regardless of how the election went, took the day off to get some forging done.

Last time I lit the forge, the only half inch square left in the smithy was all shorts, so a trip to the scrap yard was warranted. Picked up 40 feet of half inch square, some five eighths and a three foot bar of 2 x 1.75 for some anvil tools. Not sure if I can work that last bar without help. Got a neighbor who*s offered to strike for me, since the kid steadfastly refuses!.

While at the scrap yard, tripped over the largest metal shear I*ve ever seen, a Doelger & Kirsten 1 1/2. Looks like the kind of tool you can*t let an idiot near.
post-182-0-58752600-1352492254_thumb.jpgpost-182-0-95371200-1352492268_thumb.jpg

Yard guys got a little nervous I was taking pics, but I assured them I was motivated by love of machinery and metal and they helped me carry out the 75 lbs of steel I had piled up.

Got the forge lit by 10 AM and working on coffee rather than beer, spent the next 4 hours hammering away. Started as always on some nails, then reworked the nail header to get some more dome on the working end. Finished up a dragonfly without burning up any wings AND getting both wings to split, a first!

Convinced that I have tools, metal and information but not so much skill, spent the rest of the day working on Brian Brazeal style leaves with a rounding hammer. The goal is a 100 leaves to decorate the security screen door on the front of the house, and hopefully by the time I get to 50 or so (at about a dozen now), I*ll have enough hammer control and skill to tackle some of the more involved projects on the list.

post-182-0-05927600-1352492287_thumb.jpg

I read an interview with a smith once, who was making dragon finals for a fence who said 'first you try and make them all the same, and by the time you can do do that, you vary the expressions and details to keep yourself from getting bored'. That*s what I*m shooting for.

Secure in the knowledge that I would not want to be at work regardless of how the election went, took the day off to get some forging done.

Last time I lit the forge, the only half inch square left in the smithy was all shorts, so a trip to the scrap yard was warranted. Picked up 40 feet of half inch square, some five eighths and a three foot bar of 2 x 1.75 for some anvil tools. Not sure if I can work that last bar without help. Got a neighbor who*s offered to strike for me, since the kid steadfastly refuses!.

While at the scrap yard, tripped over the largest metal shear I*ve ever seen, a Doelger & Kirsten 1 1/2. Looks like the kind of tool you can*t let an idiot near.
post-182-0-58752600-1352492254_thumb.jpgpost-182-0-95371200-1352492268_thumb.jpg

Yard guys got a little nervous I was taking pics, but I assured them I was motivated by love of machinery and metal and they helped me carry out the 75 lbs of steel I had piled up.

Got the forge lit by 10 AM and working on coffee rather than beer, spent the next 4 hours hammering away. Started as always on some nails, then reworked the nail header to get some more dome on the working end. Finished up a dragonfly without burning up any wings AND getting both wings to split, a first!

Convinced that I have tools, metal and information but not so much skill, spent the rest of the day working on Brian Brazeal style leaves with a rounding hammer. The goal is a 100 leaves to decorate the security screen door on the front of the house, and hopefully by the time I get to 50 or so (at about a dozen now), I*ll have enough hammer control and skill to tackle some of the more involved projects on the list.

post-182-0-05927600-1352492287_thumb.jpg

I read an interview with a smith once, who was making dragon finals for a fence who said 'first you try and make them all the same, and by the time you can do do that, you vary the expressions and details to keep yourself from getting bored'. That*s what I*m shooting for.

WOW! can I stick my finger in that?