I Forge Iron

How can i Make this into an Anvil?

I have this big piece of metal lying around, its about 1 3/4 '' thick and about a foot and a half long and wide (square shape). I was wondering if this could somehow be fashioned into an anvil. could i cut it in half and weld it together? maybe i could set it in concrete? i just have no idea. let me know what you think. also, i have no idea what kind of steel it is nor how hard it is tempered. is it possible to temper it, or could i weld on some high strength stuff. let me know if you need pictures to get a better idea of what it looks like. almost forgot, it has about 6 holes in it, i have no idea why, this is just a scrape piece that i picked up. thanks in advance,

Find yourself a *big* hardwood tree stump. Something like hard maple, or oak. Basically the bottom of a 2' diameter tree, cut off at a comfortable working height ... Then give it that 1 3/4" steel top.

The stump alone would probably weigh in the neighborhood of 300 Lbs. That's plenty of mass for light work - and you'd have a nice big surface area to play with. You would also have lots of edges that you could grind to different radii.

Enlarge and square up one of the existing holes to hold hardie tools, etc.

There are lots of useful things you can do with a piece of thick plate.

Inlet that stump to hold that piece both on the flat and on the edge and use it in both orientations as needed.

What you need to do to make it an anvil is to hit hot steel on it! Nothing more, nothing less. cutting and welding will most likely decrease it's "anvilness" unless you are doing full penetration welds and then for something that sized you could *buy* a chunk that was more compact for the cost of the consumables!

Come on now, thats a little litty chunk of metal.... Not to say its not better than nothing but I would think you could find a better chunk of steel to put to use as an anvil.... If you cant find something better come see me and I'll give you a chunk that's at least 4-6" thick

Where do think i could find more scrape metal? it would awesome if you could give me a piece of metal like that.