I Forge Iron

130kg / 285 pound Anvil help

Hi Guys,
It's been a while ladies and gents.
I have recently acquired this anvil, the markings have long gone can anyone help me identify it?

It the following on the heel 31251
with another that looks to be an "I"

Any ideas, I cant imagine it being a date as the horn would indicate this to be much older than 51.

There was around 10 layers of paint on the anvil and the face so I had it blasted.

Any information would be great.

Cheers all!

post-27645-0-21563300-1351953170_thumb.j

post-27645-0-19918900-1351953184_thumb.j

post-27645-0-82595400-1351953211_thumb.j

post-27645-0-77586600-1351953227_thumb.j

I would hazard to guess that you are a lucky owner of a Wilkinsons.

The unique shape of the base and legs, the way the horn blends into the body, and the chunky heel give it away. My 217# Wilkinsons has the exact same features. I am no anvil expert, but I have not seen these features on other anvils.

For comparison, here are some photos of my Wilkinsons:

Mine does not have a very powerful ring, but has excellent rebound. How does yours sound when you (lightly) tap the face with a hammer?

Markus

Hi Paul,

I know very little about my Wilkinsons. Most of what I know I have picked up from IFI:

These anvils are made from multiple pieces (5, if I am not mistaken) of wrought iron, all forged welded together. The face is tool steel (unsure of thickness) forge welded on.

Markus

Postman; the man who wrote *the* book on anvils, has identified over 200 anvil makers in the UK; many of them making quite similar designs---often because they worked at another maker's place before they went off on their own.

So if you have no markings it's most likely going to end up a "Maybe".