I Forge Iron

brian brazeal style crane with frame

ironsmith

Hi! Nice job!

I do have a couple of suggestions to take into consideration when you have a call to do this again.

Always remember that it's the small things that count! It look like both your top and bottom bar are not quite straight. (They are really close!) They seem to "sag" slightly to the middle. This is not a big deal and when I participated in the YS 2012 trip with Brian, and here in my shop I don't stress about the frame being to spec, with 16th inch tollerances and such, but always try to get it close.

The second thing I would point out is the leg area! The leg area should be a reverse taper form, meaning that (if you are holding the stock with the bird on the end,) you want the part of the leg closest to you to be smaller than the part of the leg farther away from you. (The top of the leg is larger than the bottom.)

You have a regular taper form....AKA the apposite of a reverse taper!

Here are a couple of samples I've done in my shop! They take about 3 hours start to finish. You can notice the neck on the second isn't all that awesome!

DSC06257.jpg

DSC06583.jpg

Good job and keep at it!

Hey Frosty thanks for the compliment, And FF thanks for the critique I really appreciate it! this was the first crane i have done , and first forge welded frame as well,

I got frustrated near the end of the bird, and let my adherence to workmanship lapse LOL. all in all it's a great project to learn from...

I got frustrated near the end of the bird, and let my adherence to workmanship lapse LOL. all in all it's a great project to learn from...

LOL I do that too sometimes, but I always end up regretting it! :D

Hey, also I forgot to ask, what flux are you using? The iron-mountain flux Brian is now distributing makes these welds a lot easier. (Having flat dies on a power hammer helps too! That's how I do mine!) Do you have a power hammer?

Hey FF, Yeah i got a powerhammer, the first two welds i stuck with the hand hammer, the other ones i did on the PH. I was using some OLD 20 mule team borax, that has more or less clumped into a big rock from moisture. Brian demoed iron mountain here when he came to do a class, just haven't bought any. seems like it'd definately improve my welding :/