I Forge Iron

what is it?

I know it's a bit schwaggy to post ebay auctions, but what is going on with this pneumatic hammer (seemingly) with a mechanical hammer clutch (seemingly)?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Lufthammer-Federhammer-Schmiede-Schmiedehammer-Amboss-Feldschmiede-/221146787330?pt=Industriemaschinen&hash=item337d602e02#ht_500wt_1363

The basic principle to making one of these things go is pretty simple if the applications can get complex. The basics are a master cylinder, slave cylinder. The master is the driven piston and the slave is the tup, the air gates lead directly from top to top and bottom to bottom. When the master goes up, air pressure drives the slave down and visa versa.

Control valves can be really simple, a bypass line running between the up and down stroke lines and a check valve is about all a simple stroke needs. Open the check valve and the air pressure, (force) does what force/energy ALWAYS does, takes the path of least resistance so the air just goes back and forth between the up and down side of the master. Close the check valve and NOW the path of least resistance is bouncing the tup up and down in sync with the master.

Another way of controlling one of these beasts I suppose, though I've never seen the likes would be to put a clutch between the motor and the master piston. I'm thinking we're looking at something different and not a drive control, maybe something to take the hammer off line without slipping or unspooling a line belt. (?)

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, if you look carefully those are two separate wheels on the back. One of them would be locked solid to the shaft, the other would just free turn. The belt would be part of a constantly turning line shaft, and to in turn the machine on, a mechanism was used to slide the belt onto the engaged pulley (Which is what you can see in the picture)... Hope that made sense, I'm not good at explaining things verbally... :)