I Forge Iron

link with knife patterns

jay_cat

I found this link to a photo bucket page with hundreds of knife patterns. I suck at drawing so the use of a pattern is essential. I found a couple i liked, and printed them out. You can adjust the size of the image to print the size you want. I thought this might be helpful to other beginners like myself. I didn't want to ruin the new piece of steel I bought.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/knife%20patterns/cantador4u/Knife%20Blade%20Patterns%20and%20Designs/BladesoutlinedsidekickbyBGoode.gif?o=35#!oZZ3QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fmedia.photobucket.com%2Fimage%2Fknife%20patterns%2Fcantador4u%2FKnife%20Blade%20Patterns%20and%20Designs%2FbladesoutlinedofAM.gif%3Fo%3D3

"Knives and Scabbards" Museum of London has 310 medieval knives drawn to scale with cross section information and information on the metallurgy and hilting of the too.

It's a great resource for leather stamping of the various centuries covered too!

It includes several friction folders!

It's a book; so use your favorite book site---I use abebooks.com

KNIVES AND SCABBARDS: MEDIEVAL FINDS FROM EXCAVATIONS IN LONDON.
(ISBN 10: 0112904408 / ISBN 13: 9780112904403 )
Cowgill, J., de Neergaard, M., and N. Griffiths.

This book catalogues, discusses and illustrates over five hundred knives, scabbards, shears and scissors dating from the mid-12th to the mid-15th centuries and found in the City of London, particularly along the waterfront sites, where recovered items can be accurately dated by dendrochronology and coin finds. It is a fundamental work of reference for medieval artefacts and material culture, an essential handbook for excavators all over Britain and much of Europe. JANE COWGILL, MARGRETHE DE NEERGAARDE and NICK GRIFFITHS are former members of the staff of the Museum of London.