I Forge Iron

Scrolls, machine, buy or build

peter

I cannot disagree with what Sam Thompson said:
“Using a machine like this is an insult to the very concept of blacksmithing. Cold bent steel is not, in any sense 'wrought ironwork', Anyone can knock out that kind of rubbish.”
And at the same time, I fully agree with what Charlotte Said.
“I agree with you in spirit! However, there are people that need some sort of commercial edge to make a living in the business….or, three go broke and drive a truck to pay the bills.”

There is no doubt that many exceptional blacksmith’s have mastered the art of the blacksmithing business by using the fundamental proficiencies. Just to mention a few that we are familiar with (but not limited to the following), would be Mark Aspery, Gerald Boggs, and Brian Brazeal – Blacksmith.
My question: If one of these fine blacksmiths used a Power Hammer that is energized by electrical power as opposed to using a human striker, would that take away from their legitimacy as a traditional blacksmith? In my eyes, NO!
The appropriate right answer to that question I feel can only lay with-in the opinion of each individual.
But, I feel it is important to attack only the issue, and never the person who has a different opinion.
The fact is that anyone of us will find our selves in a different position in life than everyone else at any given time. Weather it be due to age, location, financial, physical, opportunity potentials, health level, experience and training, or just a plain old individual opinion about what is right, wrong or acceptable to that person at that time. And all of these fluid factors seem to summarize how we feel about any given concept at that time.

I include the use of the word “time” due to the fact that I have seen men’s opinion change over time of what is most important or acceptable to them.

Many variables factor into how one may feel about what seems to be right or wrong about another persons view about the skills of blacksmithing craftsmanship.

Over a life time of working at the trade, I have learned to respect that everyone has an opinion about what the history of blacksmithing is (which sometime changes). And what period of tools and techniques used represents the only legitimate definition of blacksmithing to them. And I would have to agree that they are “RIGHT”, for them!
I am very comfortable with my own beliefs (right or wrong) they feel correct for me.
I must admit that I have had to re-adjust my thinking over and over again.

I feel as long as a person does not represent his work product inaccurately, and is honest about the process used to achieve the end product, that no harm is done.

At my age, coupled with physical limitations, I have to compensate in any way possible to achieve my goals to produce a product. I will use any tool available for my use. But I never have misrepresented anything I have produced (process or material).
“The proof is reflected in the price”
Ted Throckmorton

Edited by Ted T

Using a machine like this is an insult to the very concept of blacksmithing. Cold bent steel is not, in any sense 'wrought ironwork', Anyone can knock out that kind of rubbish.

So where do you stand on purchasing hand forged items made in China to a reasonably good standard and then a novice welding/fitting them together them by modern or traditional methods? Do you class this as wrought iron? They were made in the fire.

These items are coming in finished, in some cases when they are cheaper to buy than the cost of a piece of steel I would have to purchase to make them.

I don't personally use them, but I know of others who purchase finished leaves etc because they are cheaper than making or having them profile cut by whatever method, and then they may or may not reforge them slightly to their requirement.

If you are going to be competitive then you have to use what you see fit (and can live with) or find you own niche where you can survive.

This 'smithing makes for a brilliant hobby, but is a hard way to make a living.

I think Ted summed it up very well.

"I feel as long as a person does not represent his work product inaccurately, and is honest about the process used to achieve the end product, that no harm is done.

At my age, coupled with physical limitations, I have to compensate in any way possible to achieve my goals to produce a product. I will use any tool available for my use. But I never have misrepresented anything I have produced (process or material).

It may be different here in the UK as I know many 'smiths making a living from the more traditional side of the craft, many incorporate modern techniques and the work is better for that.

And then there are the others going under the banner of blacksmiths and wrought ironworkers in the trade publications that do not even have a forge or anvil in their workshops all competing for customers,

Like Ted said
I feel as long as a person does not represent his work product inaccurately, and is honest about the process used to achieve the end product, that no harm is done.

So long as the maker and client are happy with the job thats all that matters.

Me I'm just a traditional village blacksmith doing what ever comes along that takes my fancy, or that no one else can be found to do the work.

Paid my bills for the last 30 years. Not wealthy but I can be satisfied as its only been done by my own efforts.

I didn't mean to suggest that there is no place for cold bent ornament or bought in forged components. The genuine article can look a bit silly on the side of a modern semi. What I was trying to say is that this should not be confused with 'traditional' work and using a former like this is no substitute for knowing how to do the job properly. Many customers, as John B says, are quite happy with the cheap and nasty alternative; I've always found that if I need to explain the difference between hand and machine made, it's not worth the bother. The customer , in these straightened times, is (nearly) always right. The mere presence of a forge and an anvil adds kudos in the minds of some people. They can always tell their friends:'We had that made for us by a real blacksmith.'... Even if he wasn't being a blacksmith at the time.