I Forge Iron

Finishes?

RustiePyles

I've made a nice fire set and people are starting to ask about buying my work. Up until now I just spray my stuff down with a light weight oil, but I would like to use a better and more uniform finish for paying customers. So I'm going to start using linseed oil, mineral spirits, & Japan drier but I'm not sure how to get the nice even black color & luster. Oxy Act torch with no oxy to soot the work? Green wood fire? What's the best method?

I have used linseed oil / mineral spirits and it is good for a quick finish for something that is going to sell fast. Bees wax lasts a little longer. Jerry Carroll uses acrylic floor wax with good results for him.

You paint your car and expect it (the paint) to last for how many years? Use a good quality paint. The quality paint job starts with preparation of the metal, primers, then a couple of coats of paint, just like at the body shop.

I powder coated several items and it held up well until the coating was chipped. The whole piece had to be sandblasted to remove the powder coating and I went back to paint.

What is the item worth and how long do you want the protective coating to last? Choose accordingly.

What are you after?
You mention an "even black color and luster". That may be easiest with paint. Or heating a wax may give you the desired look. I've used a propane torch to heat applied wax to achieve a dark look. Heating linseed oil gives a bit of a different look.
Do you want to provide a certain look or are you mostly after protection? If you want protection, indoors or outdoors?
How intricate are the parts? Paint may obscure fine detail.

ron

Paint is a traditional finish for wrought iron every since it was invented.

Olive oil Pam sprayed on black hot iron/steel makes a nice black finish that's reasonably durable. You can oil it then bake it in the oven and it won't be tacky. I mixed up a batch based on "The Art Of Blacksmithing" by Alex Bealer: Wax, turpentine and soot. Add turps till it's the consistency of shoe polish when cold. It applies easily with a rag or mop and is surprisingly durable, I've had hooks and hangers outside in Alaskan weather for a good 10 years with no degradation. Oh yeah, spectators like the smell at demos too.

I think the next batch I'll use bees wax and graphite form the art supply.

Frosty The Lucky.