I Forge Iron

Gas forge and burner.

stevehewer

Hi guys,
I have been blacksmithing for a while now, not as often as I would like as I have heart failure so get tired after a couple of hours, my biggest problem has been firing the coke forge, I start it with kindling and add coke on to it, I use a weed wand gas burner to get it going quicker and with less smoke, but its getting harder and harder to work the forge, I live on a small estate/close and the house is mid terrace, so there are people both sides, it seems every time I want to fire the forge up someone in one of the houses always has their washing out, I have been letting people know I am going to lite a fire etc and they take their washing in, but this is getting a bit tiresome, and they seem to be getting frustrated too....
So my plan is to build a small gas forge, I used catable refractory for my coke forge and it had worked very well, I intend to use it in building my gas forge (I dont trust myself with the carciagenic wool stuff, I would far rather use the castable stuff as it is harder wearing too), I am thinking of making something simmilar to the Swan forges here in the uk, not the round ones many seem to make, I am thinking of the internal chamber being 23cm wide x 35cm deep and being 12cm high. My question is what burner, I am not overly happy making my own burner (most likely to go bang knowing my luck), I have seen a 45000 Btu burner from Castree kilns for around £90, but I have the chance to buy a Bullfinch propane torch with the 1250 burner, that burner is rated at 43000 Btu`s at 1 bar, so around 60000 Btu`s at 2 bar. Would this burner be good enough to heat the @ 1/3 cubic ft space, I will still have the coke forge for use when needed but wajnt to use the gas for daily use, also would this burner in this sized forge get up to welding heat ?? I intend to have a castable wall thickness od 3 inches and will have a sacraficial 1" kiln brik as the floor of the forge, I intend to have drop down doors (both ends) with 1" thick castable lined doors with a permanent opening at each end for small bar stock of around 1 1/2" x 4", I am assuming I would need the permanent openings for exaust gases, I would sit the gas forge on the table of my coke forge to use the chimney to vent the workshop (although my workshop is a closed in patio, it has a fixed roof and end wall and the back wall and gates to the front with @10" opening above and below the gates, I made it with gates so I can get anything large out of the workshop without any problems, I also open the gates when its warmer). I am on a very tight budget as I am on incapacity benefits, hence the reason for wanting to use the bullfinch torch as it is available to me very cheaply, buying a "proper burner" is out of my budget at the moment, I am guessing the burners would wear out now and then and I would be happy to replace them as and when as they are around £18, so that isnt too much of a problem. But will it work.....
What are your thoughts, will it work, at 43000 to 60000 Btu`s I would have thought this be plenty.

Thanks for your thoughts, they are all helpful.

Steve.

You already have a burner. The weed wand gas torch should put out plenty of BTU's, you just have to play with the back-pressure issues and make sure you don't build a forge so large that the burner can't heat it all. I'm getting ready to build a forge similar to what you describe and will be using my weed-burner to heat it because I have it on hand.

Here's a photo of Tai Goo's weed burner forge. Not very complicated, is it?

weedburner.jpg

Blimey that look fierce enough, my weed burner is just the sort that runs on the 350ml cans so no good for a forge, I am considering having a go at building my own burner as per the instructions on so many site online. I might get the bullfinch burner as well as it would be good for tempering etc as well as lighting the coke forge when I can run that. I do love my coke forge, I just wish I could afford to rent a proper workshop, I doubt I would bother with the gas forge then, I like the feeling of working with the coke forge, it has history about it, I like that about it, I was born in the wrong era really, I like steam engines/trains and all the old stuff (and ive ony just gome past 40 ! ! )

I sure hope the blue kettle isn't a Weber grill. That sure was a ole classic
and I thing some of the BBQers would be crying if the saw this... signed BBQ Honcho

But the Idea sure looks like a good one to me

You already have a burner. The weed wand gas torch should put out plenty of BTU's, you just have to play with the back-pressure issues and make sure you don't build a forge so large that the burner can't heat it all. I'm getting ready to build a forge similar to what you describe and will be using my weed-burner to heat it because I have it on hand.

Here's a photo of Tai Goo's weed burner forge. Not very complicated, is it?

weedburner.jpg