I Forge Iron

Charleston S.C. Ironwork

Most of the older historic churches have the best work in town. Sadly most of the Ironwork in Charleston is pretty beat up and badly preserved. Its pretty hard here to convince people that ironwork needs to be cleaned well and touched up every year. So most of it has thick flaking paint, but never the less there is some beautiful work here. The most technical and in my opinion best ironwork here is English work that was shipped over to the churches when they were built in the late 1700 to mid 1800s.

Some work worth finding is

Saint John's Lutheran Church, 5 Archdale St -Great front gates
Saint Michale's Church, 84 Meeting St - Beautiful Alter rail inside the church, great condition
Saint Philips Church, 142 Church St - Wonderful large gates

There is lots of other good work around the historic side of town. These three are just my favorite work around town. I have lived here for the past four years, I was a student at The American College of the Building Arts. I installed an iron window grill in the 1800s city jail last year. Your welcome to come by and see that ironwork too. And there's a little bit of historical ironwork on the jail worth seeing. The 1800s Jail is our school building. The Jail is on 21 magazine street.

Mackenzie

I was in Charleston this last May. Lots of iron works all over the city. The Phillip Simmons story is fascinating and you can see his works in Charleston. His shop is remarkable in what great iron works he completed with so few tools. You will take lots of pictures there. I did meet with Mackenzie when I was there and recommend see the school, (jail). Great food also. You will have a great time.