I Forge Iron

Peter Wright Double Horn Anvil 260 lbs.

I thought I would share this anvil with all of you. I got this Peter Wright Double Horned anvil a few months ago. It weighs 260 lbs. Rings like a church bell. I talked with Richard Postman and he told me that these have been coming to the states during the past few years. Someone is shipping them over from Europe or something like that. i only saw this anvil in Anvils in America in a Peter Wright advertisement. I never saw one of these in all the hundreds of searches I have done looking for this particular anvil.

If anyone has info, input or has one of these, I'd like to hear from you.

OOPS, 2 - 0 - 26, I MEAN 250 LBS. BTW, it is my favorite and I got it for $600. When I saw the double horn on craigslist, i called the guy immediately and told him I would buy it. He said he got it a few years back for over $1000 bucks. I have a 280 lb. Swedish Northstar, a 250 lb, Hay budden, a 130 lb. hay budden, a fisher 58 and 19 and a crap load of mini anvils. Mostly, I use the Northstar and Peter Wright. used to use the 130 hay budden a lot. The Northstar is great.

I love anvils, something about them. Sometimes I just go outside in the garden and look at them, wire brush and oil em. They have a spirit in them, each one different. Richard Postman told me that there's a cure for this anvil-itis that I have, it is called DEATH.

Gotta go and pamper my anvil, talk to you later.

As an interesting note, the larger Hay Budden in an 1898 1st style. This one has the faceplate welded to the wrought. You can see some sway on the face. As a contrast the Hay Budden 130, second picture, is a 1910 version or the third style which has a solid tool steel face welded on. The neck of each is different, where the 130 has a longer, almost parallel neck whereas the larger/older Hay Budden has a nicer transition from the bottom to the top of the anvil. I think the baddest one is the Northstar, supposedly one piece of steel forged in charcoal. That's the one you can make out the 280 under the palms. I'm still courting the double horn Peter Wright, taking it slowly. lol

John; I have told all my "friends" that my blacksmithing stuff is going to be melted and poured over my coffin in the ground. Did this just so I didn't have to worry about eating or drinking anything my "friends" would give me---now they are trying to extend my lifespan so they can use the stuff i have gathered!

That is a good idea. Insurance. I know I plan to drive my Harley off the cliffs when I am ready to leave this earth. Maybe, I could pull the anvils in a trailer behind me....nah, probably not, it would slow down the extraction of my body. they would probably grab the anvils first. Melting may be the best bet. Thanks. I love this forum, great life-altering advice.