I Forge Iron

• 2 months later...

Hopefully on the 3 day course in feb - cheque in the post. Meant to ask if we joined is there also a discount on the 3 day course for Guild members or does that only apply to the 2 day courses? If so it would have made sense to join at the same time....

John, are you running the feb 3 day course? I was in the 1 day course in Jan this year but have only just got my backside into gear sorting out some equipment.

BW, Chris.

Hi Chris, Discount is on the two day courses, the three day course is already discounted and I should be running the three day course in Feb,

Did you email for a provisional booking, as all courses up to March 9th are already full ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

Just wanted to say thanks again for a brilliant time on the taster day last Saturday. It certainly gave me the blacksmithing bug! Thinking the tool making course in April would be a good next step.

Now I just need to get sorted with a forge and anvil!

Cheers, Tim 

Hi Tim,

Glad you enjoyed it, the toolmaking course would be of benefit to you.

If you want some plans for the bottom blast forge we talked about, send me a PM with your email address, and I can send you the plans as an attachment  back.

• 1 month later...

Just been on the 3 day intensive course. Learned a lot (I hope, time will tell :) ). Anyway, if I failed to learn that is on me. I am reasonably pleased with the items I made but the real value is not what you make, it is what you learn. The important thing is to put this into practice and improve on the quality - that will take time and experience.

It was a great weekend and John was a good and patient instructor. The pace was just about right I would say. I found the 3 days hard going but I have poor health and spent quite a while monopolizing the shop stool and asking dumb questions John had already explained...

Anyway, I am building a hearth and have plans to make some of the new tools I have been introduced to.

I would fully recommend this course for a beginner.

BW, Bogmonster.

Hi John,

Just wanted to say thanks again for a brilliant time on the taster day last Saturday. It certainly gave me the blacksmithing bug! Thinking the tool making course in April would be a good next step.

Now I just need to get sorted with a forge and anvil!

Cheers, Tim 

By the way Tim, I have almost finished a hearth using John's plans. I found it easy enough to make given my very limited fabrication skills. I adapted the design slightly by making the hearth longer and using angle iron to add strength. I am only tack welding the fire pot in so it is easy to remove and repair bits if needed - might not be worth it. Also the fire box is steeper but that is due to my poor oxy/propane cutting skills :(

Anyway, have not fired it up yet, this weekend I hope :)

By the way Tim, I have almost finished a hearth using John's plans. I found it easy enough to make given my very limited fabrication skills. I adapted the design slightly by making the hearth longer and using angle iron to add strength. I am only tack welding the fire pot in so it is easy to remove and repair bits if needed - might not be worth it. Also the fire box is steeper but that is due to my poor oxy/propane cutting skills :(

Anyway, have not fired it up yet, this weekend I hope :)

Thats good to hear bogmonster! Its still on my list of things to do, however two weeks ago my wife gave birth to our baby daughter Josie. So think its going to be a few more months before anything happens! Plus I don't think one should operate a forge with such little sleep each night!

Having said that, I did actually buy a small second hand gas forge a little while ago, so hopefully I can fire that up when I have a spare 30 min here and there. Long term plan is to find a more suitable workshop and have a proper coke fueled forge.