I Forge Iron

Gas Forge Info / ID Help

Neil Blythin

Hello Folks,

I'm not sure if this is the right spot or not (if not the Admin or a Moderator can happily move it)...

A friend of mine recently acquired a "forge", and asked me if I knew anything about it; which I do not.

His father was a high school teacher, and the school was clearing out equipment from a long abandoned shop class. Among the pieces of equipment was some type of a gas forge.

I'm having trouble getting the photos off of my camera at the moment, but will try to post a few pics later.

This forge is a tall square tower like structure. About a square foot in 'footprint'. It has a firebrick lined chamber, with a rectangular opening front & back. The odd part is that it has a hole in the 'roof' that holds a crucible. So to me, it's some sort of a melting furnace for metal casting. But my friends father swears up and down that the school never did any metal casting, and had used this device for forging.

It has a manufacturers ID plate attached which says:
"Wayne Forge Ltd. Toronto - Ontario"

I've done a bit of Googling, but can't find much info on this company. Is anyone familiar with this type of forge / furnace? Do you know if it can be used (or converted for use) for smithing? Or is it primarily a metal casting tool?

Again, I'll try to get a few photos up later - but any info is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Neil

Your description sounds like the ones we had in jr. high and high school but those were NC gas forges. The hole in the top is the exhaust port allowing you to close the doors almost completely. Sticking a crucible over it sounds like a home grown modification of questionable use. WE used to brew class coffee over the one in ours. We called the coffee, "stud pucky," for it's strength and questionable palatability.

You might try searching out NC gas appliances, forges, etc. and see if you can find a match or one close enough to help you out.

Frosty the Lucky.

• 3 months later...

Neil,

I just picked up the twin of that Wayne forge. They guy I got it from thinks it was rigged for natural gas, so may require modification to use propane.

The one I have doesn't have a crucible, just 4 firebricks stacked on top. I presume the electrical cord is for some sort of blower.

Did you get yours up and running?

Rob (new here, in Hamilton)

Hi Rob, 

The forge I posted above belongs to a friend / class mate of mine.  I don't believe he's done anything with it yet...

Cheers,

Neil

p.s. Drop me a PM if you'd like to exchange contact info - I'm just in Niagara (as is the friend whose forge this is).