I Forge Iron

my first akubra hat

Gibbo

gday all, its my first post in this section but not my last just thought id show my first try at an akubra hat, its made from a beer lid i was muckin round with my mapp gas torch and made this and let the heat run a bit for colouring, its a little small for my head otherwise id be wearin it right now post-22040-0-48607200-1348487281_thumb.jpost-22040-0-48232000-1348487321_thumb.jcheers for lookin

• 1 month later...

I've been making cowboy hats out of pennies---ones old enough to be real copper based; but they are a cheap source of planchets! Make nice earrings for the ladies.

Got one slightly larger than a beer lid and heavier too that I use as a fob on my key ring---the pocket keeps it polished and I can show it off most anytime---it was a gift to me from Dave Hammer at Quad-State one year.

Nice thing about making these hats---they are hard to mess up as most any problem in the making can be found on somebody's head somewhere out there!

Cheers fellas your right Thomas because the beer lid Is so thin it tore around the top whilst shaping the top ,at first I wasn't happy but then remembered seeing plenty of old fellas out bush with there hats torn and to me they show that hats been through thick and thin and I bet they are comfortable ,so I left it like that