I Forge Iron

Angle grinder question

In another forum today a lifelong metal worker said that the safest way to use an angle grinder is to start it with it TOUCHING the workpiece.

Curious about this I went and did some research, and everything I read indicated to start the grinder away from the workpiece, let it come up to speed, and then bring the tool to the piece.

So... err which is it?

In another forum today a lifelong metal worker said that the safest way to use an angle grinder is to start it with it TOUCHING the workpiece.

Curious about this I went and did some research, and everything I read indicated to start the grinder away from the workpiece, let it come up to speed, and then bring the tool to the piece.

So... err which is it?

When you press the power button and the motor starts there is a bit of torque and the grinder reacts by lurching. If you have the wheel, disc, etc. applied to the work surface "cold", before the grinder is started then you are inviting trouble because now you have given the grinder something to drive against which could give you more than you bargained for in controlling it. Also it may tax the motor unecessarily as it attempts to power up. Any "lifelong metalworker" should by now know grinders ( Dewalt, Makita ) cost a few bucks to replace and burn out all too soon under proper use. You did the right thing by reading the safety data included with your grinder, abide by it. Also another tip- if ever you happen to drop a composite grinding wheel, be it for a hand held grinder or a bench grinder, throw it away no matter if it "still looks fine". They are brittle and you can't tell from looking at it if it will explode while in use- NOT GOOD. Throw it away and get another one or you may find yourself sitting next to Mr. "Lifelong metakworker" in the E.R. SAFETY FIRST, don't be sorry, get correct information from the manufacturer always. Dan:)

Ive worked with grinders for a very long time. Ive also seen some nasty stuff happening when people dont respect the machine. Never start a grinder while its touching anything, thats asking for trouble.
Bb

Not only should the grinder itself be treated properly and with respect, never, EVER use a disc not intended for a particular purpose. I have personally seen what a damaged disc can do to a shop wall (and the fellow's boot), and have read a report of a fatality a few years ago directly resulting from improper use.
Manufacturer's instructons are good. Even better if we follow them. They spend a sizeable amount of money providing correct directions for a reason.