I Forge Iron

Forge Pit

rsw

Finally got caught up enough to get started on my forge pit/ work area. Had the pressure treated lumber from a building I tore down, so I was limited on the size. I have some metal for the roof and thinking about using steel conduit to mount it to. Anyway, it will keep the weather off my equipment when it’s done or a good place to hide from the wife. Down to just making a belt and putting a strap on the crack on the forge and I will be ready to get started.

post-27317-0-30387100-1348233252_thumb.j

post-27317-0-06523500-1348233270_thumb.j

Don’t think I will be needing a french drain on this build. The ground in that area is so hard that water wont penetrate deeper then a couple inches. Lucky that grass will even take root. Just have to keep the surface water out.

Franis, it's 4'8" x 4'8"... that was all the reusable lumber I had. If I have to set the anvil outside to give me working room, it still beats carrying it 20 feet from the garge. I did get the roof put on today and am happy with the way it came out. With having M/S, I don't plan on doing a lot of beating, just a hobby. I will also be making my own charcoal.

post-27317-0-79363600-1348440169_thumb.j

Great job, hoss. With MS, nothing is easy... and this is sure to provide you with hours of good times. If I was to recommend anything, I'd have the anvil at the back wall and the anvil/vice at the front corners. The anvil can't be hurt by rain, to be honest, and the vice needs to be out of the way of 80% what you'll be doing on the anvil. The "triangle" dictates that there be 6' between the forge, vice and anvil. You've about nailed it perfectly!

Rock on!