I Forge Iron

Blacksmiths around the world

Hey guys,
I found a video on the net about a great israeli blacksmith called Ze'evik.
He was crowened "World Forging Champion in 2009, and you can see his passion for forging in the video".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9q4OL344_8&feature=relmfu
If you guys know more stories of great blacksmith's from all over the world, or want to comment on the video- feel free!

Cheers!

Aprons. Some smiths wear them and some don't. Wilcock is wearing a traditional farriers' split apron. If a guy is not used to having something weighing on his shoulders and/or neck, such as bib apron straps, bib overall straps, or suspenders, they are uncomfortable [how about hot and sweaty?]. In the early days, I think that a lot of aprons were a tanned hide with a folded forward waist top and no bib. As examples, google the painting, "Pat Lyon at the Forge." I also saw the same apron type in a photo from the book, "Frontier Iron," which addresses the history of the Maramec Iron Furnace in Missouri.

An age-mate friend in Tucson, in his youth, was sporting a brand new apron. An old time smith named Mermo, originally from Sweden, walked in his shop and remarked, "Aprons are for the movies." This threw my friend a curve. Initially, it made him question the use of an apron, as though he were showing off, but I think he got over it.

Regarding "world forging champion," this is the first I've heard of such a thing. I do know that Edward Martin (R.I.P.) of Closeburn, Scotland, was asked to come to London, England, in the year 2000 and was awarded a gold medal by the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths. The medal stated, "Awarded to Edward Martin Supreme Master Blacksmith." It was the third such medal given in the last 100 years. Mr. Martin was a Clydesdale horseshoer and also an ornamental iron smith.

I was recently crowned World Champion Blacksmith at the World Champion Blacksmith Competition that took place last weekend at Didbrook, Gloucestershire, UK.
Oh, you didn't get invited to compete? You didn't hear about it?
And you didn't, either?
And nor did you?
Oh, that's weird.

Hi Francis, currently the UK as a country does not have a World Champion Blacksmith competition, we have a National Blacksmith Competition staged at various county shows, that in effect has two Champions, one for the blacksmith's finished workpiece, and one for live forging competitions further details can be found on www.blacksmithscompetition.co.uk This is supported by the Worshipful Company of blacksmiths and open to any resident UK blacksmith,

We used to have an International Blacksmiths Competition, but unfortunately through 'political' and financial circumstances it ceased,

The quality of work on display and at the live competitions is truly amazing, and inspiring for those who attend, be it as a visitor, or competitor.