I Forge Iron

oiler for steam hammer

More common to see them on old tractors. Some of them the shaft had a pulley to a belt and would spin and some had a lever that worked a ratchet inside to spin the shaft. It will put out drops of oil - that should be adjustable. It looks like the plunger in the front is to feed some oil before starting the equipment. Also looks like it may have run on the lever set up due to no pulley. Mine are set to put out one drop every 10 seconds or so so not much comes out if you try to test it.
smith

A retire GM machinist stopped by and said these oilers were common on line shaft driven machines and the hammers/presses in the forge plant in Flint. He said some of the larger pieces would have more than one. When he was an apprentice his job was refilling these at the start of the shift. If a piece of equipment that went down and had an oiler that was empty, there would be a serious butt whoopin'

Price really depends on application and who needs it...I had a 5 port mechanical oiler that was specific to a type of Fairbanks Oil Field Engine that I sold for $400. Then I had a dual port mechanical oiler that was used on a number of different manufacturers' machines, and it was only worth $75 as it was more common.