I Forge Iron

Anodizing/patina by heat.....

Alright. So we all know (our should know) that you can change a metal's color or appearance by heat and w call it anodizing or patina (can also be done by chemical but....). Stainless, for example, will change colors by welding if its not shielded completely from the atmospheric gasses while at a raised temperature..... Now, here's my question for all you intellects on here; can anybody tell me exactly what atmospheric gas, reacting at what temperature, and with what specific metal creates which color??? Hopefully i explained this well enough. For example (example only): chromium reacts with nitrogen at 875 degrees fahrenheit to create a dark blue almost violet color.... See what I'm saying? If you were able to break this down to a science, you could get amazingly beautiful designs.

-Hillbilly

Well as the colour is to do with the thickness of the oxide layer it's oxygen. As to temps it depends on the alloy, colours on Titanium are not the same as HC steel, Copper, etc.

And while it's the same result anodizing is not the the same thing as heat colouring as in anodizing you use electricity to control the thickness of the oxide layer.

HillBilly - Thomas has given you the core information so I will only add a few pieces. The colors that you get from oxidation of the surface are interference colors. It is not an accident that they are the same series of colors from straw to peacock for all metals. In fact, many bird feathers have the same colors, like peacocks, because the color comes from the same mechanism. Anything from soap bubbles to oil slicks to titanium gives the same colors.

The color is a function of the thickness of the oxide coating and the refractive index of the oxide. At a higher temperature, you get a thicker oxide and a different color. Likewise, at any given temperature, if you hold the temperature the oxide layer will thicken with time and the color will change. Have a look at this earlier thread that has some useful links and discussion.

http://www.iforgeiro...ors#entry255109

- Doug