I Forge Iron

another anvil ID

Could I some help with an anvil ID?

This came up on a local listing for $100, and a buddy and I both called the seller, who let both of us know that there was so much interest that he pulled the anvil off CL and would be selling at a later estate sale.

There is supposedly a cast 100 on one of the feet.

Looks nice from above, but the chunky shape and what looks like a thick, maybe cast in top plate and those shoulders on either side of the table gives me pause. I know what PW's look like, but not much else. Trying to decide if its worth the drive and scramble to try and get it.

Thanks

post-182-0-37336200-1346821600_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-44633400-1346821606_thumb.jpg

Can't see the other sides and angles to see if there are any markings, but the overall chunky shape and lack of mounting lugs probably means it is one of the cast anvils that fall short of a Fisher, which would have a 10 cast in it if it was a 100lb anvil. Vulcan, Crescent, ???

Marginal at best, and then there are problems with the face. I would pass if there is going to be a bidding war. $100 was fair, now they are just getting greedy in an anvil poor area.

The cast top plate is NOT the thickness of the top plate; check the distance between the top of the cutting shelf and the top of the face *that* is what the thickness of the top plate probably is and much much smaller than the "fake plate" casting.

To me it looks like a thin plate like the Vulcan's used.

Will probably be a quiet anvil in use; but I would sure do the ball bearing test on it before buying.

Definitely not a top line anvil and may be bottom tier just above ASOs.