I Forge Iron

forging an attic ladder hook (video)

I love a forging project put to music!!! Well done. And the simplicity of this project, with the musical entertainment, could help others realize just how powerful blacksmithing can be to make something so useful, so easily and appealing how could anyone resist the appeal. At the same time also get a glimpse of how versastile and creative one can be. Fabulous!

Dear 99pppo,

Nice work and nice coordination with the music. I might have liked a few more subtitles with thoughts and comments.

I made a similar one for my wife a couple of years ago because she is small (5'3") and has spinal damage from cancer. I made it with a horizontal handle at the end opposite the hook and somewhat longer so that she only has to grab it and put her weight on it rather than having to pull down which stresses her back in ways that are not good.

I'm also jealous of your anvil.

Designingly,
George M.

Great to see other young smiths around! I especially like that you are putting out videos. I sometimes go on youtube and search for blacksmithing, ordering results by date. Most of it is games, but sometimes I'll find the occasional actual blacksmithing video. I think I found one of yours before you put this one here.

Either way, the quality of the video is really nice, and I think it makes a great case for why blacksmithing is as wonderful as it is!

Congratulations, and I hope you keep doing these! :)

Dear Anvilfolk,

Try searching Youtube for "forging" videos. That will eliminate most of the video game ones. Some of the videos are pretty awful but there are some good ones too. When you find a good one note who posted it and search for others from the same source. I wish that I had had this resource when I started hitting hot iron back in the olden days.

Enviously,
George M.

When the world was young and dinosaurs roamed the earth.

as I look again, after hitting my own tonight I noticed that at roughly 1:00 it looked like you were drawing out / refining a point in the middle of the anvil. If I see it right I think you should do this off the far edge just where your anvil is radiused. The point you are making is pointing right at where you should do this. You start here earlier in the video, working the far edge, tapering... but then at 1:00 appear to be working the final point in the middle of the anvil. Make sense? Or do I see it wrong.

as I look again, after hitting my own tonight I noticed that at roughly 1:00 it looked like you were drawing out / refining a point in the middle of the anvil. If I see it right I think you should do this off the far edge just where your anvil is radiused. The point you are making is pointing right at where you should do this. You start here earlier in the video, working the far edge, tapering... but then at 1:00 appear to be working the final point in the middle of the anvil. Make sense? Or do I see it wrong.
Ok I see what you mean. I drew out the taper on the far edge of the anvil respectively on the horn where I profit from the radiuses. But on the flat face I first equalized the indents the radiuses made and secondly I rounded the square taper off by hitting on the corners and afterwards hitting while turning the steel. So generally you´re right but in that case it would have been not only senseless but contrary to what I wanted to achieve. If you made one yourself I´d be looking forward to see a picture of it or even a video how you are forging!