I Forge Iron

My first attempt at a R.R. spike tomahawk.

I travel to colorado on a regular basis and stopped along the tracks which run along side the highway. i found about twenty spikes and they sat in a bucket for a year, until one day i decided to start a couple of knives. after the knives, i watched a couple of videos of guys making tomahawks out of the spikes. However i didnt have a tool to make the hole for the handle. i found an old truck axle and made a 10" punch. the steel was excellent for the tool. i found a broken shovel handle along the road and decided to keep it, just in case i needed it for something. It was great for handle! i just turned it down to a smaller diameter. The cord on the top of the tomahawk is just for decoration, it doesnt hold anything in place. I forged a small metal wedge to hold the handle in place. Its rock solid. I hope you like it.
post-12583-0-65385700-1345298318_thumb.j

Guest Moderator52

Nice hawk! Looks like it was fun to make.

Keep up the good work!

Now for the downside. This has been beaten to death but as the topic won't die I will sum it up. The tracks and the immediate area along the tracks belong to the railroad. Everything within that area belongs to the railroad including the discarded spikes. There is a very heavy fine for taking the spikes and even for trespassing on the tracks. Since the Department of Homeland Security is in full swing, walking the tracks can be looked at as possible terrorism. Taking spikes is theft. I know you had no malice intended so this is a word to the wise. Stay clear of the tracks.

^^^thanks for the info. I had no idea. It's funny because while I was looking for the spikes, a truck with some guys in were rolling on the tracks. Obviously, they worked on repairing the tracks. They happily waved at me as they drove by.