I Forge Iron

Shipping smithing coal to the west coast

Craig Webster

I am a member of the Fort Vancouver Trades Guild. We work in, and work to support, the historic blacksmith shop at Fort Vancouver National Historic Site.
We are looking to ship 10+ tons of coal to the fort operations. We have two problems.
1. We do not know the best place to buy good coal
2. We are not sure the best shipping method to use. My assumption would be intermodal train and truck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Craig Webster
Fort Vancouver Trades Guild.

I get good smithing coal from Lazzari Fuels in Brisbane, just south of San Francisco.

Don't know about 10 tons, but there a pretty big warehouse when I drive down to buy 50 or 100 lbs at a time,

Lazzari Fuel Co
11 Industrial Way, Brisbane, CA (415) 467-2970 ‎

No affiliation on my part, just a satisfied customer.

Friend of mine works as a carpenter at Fort Vancouver, goes by the name Dofi, I did my very first smithing under that guy, who handed me a 40 oz hammer and kept yelling 'Hit it!"

Palletized sacks are easier to handle and can be fit into nooks and crannies so don't cost quite as much to ship, they're also easier to store on your end. Of course having a 10yd dump truck pull up and drop the load ain't half bad either, it's not like you have to keep it dry.

I have fond memories of Ft. Vancouver. I was visiting friends in Silver Lake and we paid the Ft a visit on a living history day (or whatever it's called). I moseyed over to the smithy and only had to chat the guys up for a few minutes before I was taken to the HQ building for period appropriate garb. I had a great time smithing for several hours while my friends wandered around. I don't recall them ever mentioning living history day since. Go figure eh?

Frosty The Lucky.