I Forge Iron

Anvil ID

While looking around for a first anvil online at local sources I found this one on an auction site but has no information on it and this one photo.. It looks like a Hay Budden to me based on a local craigslist posting I found priced at a whopping $750.. Based one the lone image provided what would be an estimate on a fair value for an anvil like this? It's about an hour and a half from where I live with nothing else of interest listed so if it's likely way out of my price range or it doesn't seem worth the cost of driving there I may pass and keep watch on a closer deal.

I'm located in Northeast Kansas if it helps on knowing what a quality anvil runs for in this area, a local dealer has fair shop grade anvils such as Trentons and Wrights varying 77# to just over 100# between $275-$375 but other than that I don't have anything to gauge value on in my area..

htfdc4.jpg

Depends on weight. Condition looks great for a clip horn farrier anvil with two pritchel holes, so anything below $3/lb is a steal from a knowledgeable dealer in my area.

Advise to those new to the game:

(1) Bring cash. The sight of it can weaken some sellers resolve.

(2) Always try to negotiate. If you don't, then they will think they sold too cheap, and just mark the price up for the next sucker.

(3) If you can't haggle the price down, see if you can get him to throw in some hammers, tongs, hardies, etc. to sweeten the deal.

Sounds like it might be worth seeing if I can go down there and try to pick it up for a good price, maybe I'll luck out and be one of the few wanting it at the auction and get a deal on it.

Looking around at others with the same features I wanna say its somewhere around 180# maybe at 200# even or so.. Could get out of my price range fast but I won't know until I try, maybe some other goodies will be around there to pick up if all else fails to make the trip worth while.

Thanks for the info on it. :D

Something to think about...if there is a selection that can be made from: some shapes of anvils are more suited for differing operations. Look at the example you have posted. Notice the top is very long, making it nice to straighten out long shapes. The middle or the waist of the anvil is quite thin compared to the top length, making the top very thin and not as strong. Some may call the a ferrier's anvil as those smiths are generally not hitting very thick heavy material. Now to consider the "structural smith" or blacksmith, he may want to have an anvil with a waist that is comparatively thick leaving that end with more support. There are terms for all those places but since you are just starting to look for anvils I am leaving all that out for the sake of easy description.

Also some anvils are less wide on the top (face). Many smiths like that so that they can work the metal better when drawing so that to cross the top would not require such a long piece. Of course there is lots to learn.

I have purchased an anvil in the past that was a mistake..did it twice. The anvil you are looking at is okay for many and not for some. When you go to get "your" anvil be preparred to make a longtime investment. It will be expensive, so don't waist your hard earned money on the wrong thing. Do not spend good money after bad tools. I did. If I had saved all that money I could have purchase a new one or a very good used one.

There are people on this site that sell anvils and you can get a good idea of the quality before you purchase. Those people are in an area that anvils are plentiful, unlike where you and I reside.

Try to use some anvils from others' shops to find out the shape you desire.

carry on

Looks like a Hay-Budden. Trenton also made the farriers' pattern. I owned a 211 pound H-B with a similar shape to that pictured. It was the heaviest farriers' anvil that I have ever seen. A few things to consider. The face is going to be about 3 7/8" to 4" wide, narrower than a smiths' pattern of that size. There is no cutting table on a farriers anvil, because the base of the horn has a "swell" there.

For general smith's work, I would look for a regular "London Pattern" not a farriers' pattern.

Northeast kansas here, i have been finding them around $2.00-$3.00/lb. Watch Craigslist there is a very nice one in the overland park area right now and keep your ear open everywhere you go. I think i would pass for $750 and negotiate the guy in O.P.