I Forge Iron

Can't Get My Diamondback Economy Forge To Work Correctly

Lisa Jarhead

Ah, this dang thing is driving me crazy; I bought a Diamondback Economy Forge and coated the inside (kaowool and firebrick) with ITC-100. Now that I want to use it, after I light it up and let it warm up on idle, whenever I turn up the propane to get a good heat, one or both of the bells blow out. As is, this thing is worthless....any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Yes, I'm sure I have propane in my tank so it isn't that, and there isn't any kind of breeze. I have both ends open.

Do you have a adjustable pressure regulator in between the tank and the hose to forge? if so try about 5 lbs pressure and see if it makes a difference,,increase to ten if you want,,,if further problems contact diamonback and they may have a tip for youi,,even if you did not buy it new..

That forge is an atmospheric forge in that there is no blower supplying air. The air is drawn in by a fast moving stream of gas.

How well one of these forges function can be effected by lots of factors; back pressure in the forge box is something you need to pay attention to.

If the opening in the forge is too small for the amount of combustion gases to leave the forge it will create backpressure and blow out your burner.

The density of the air is also a factor although there is usually little you can do about it. An atmospheric forge that works well at sea level may not work so well in the mountains.

Check to see it you got any ITC in the burner bell. Anything that causes turbulence in the burner can effect it.

Gas from a burner burns at a specific rate or speed. If the gas pressure is too high, the un-burned gas blows past the flame front and it goes out. The forge needs to be above about 1400F (the auto ignition temperature of gas) to sustain high speed ignition. Turn down the pressure at the bottle regulator. I have a two burner forge from Diamondback and have no problems.

I got my 2 burner knifemaker a week ago, had the same problem. Heres what I did to get it to work.

1. Turn the bottle off
2. Bleed the line to the forge
3. Zero your regulator (easier to do with gas on, just don't have forge lit makes the flame burn into flares)
4. Be sure your needle valve it completely close
5. Turn your bottle back on
6. Turn regulator to about 4 to 5 psi.
7. Crack needle valve unitl you haer gas whispering.
8. Light at the top of the burner like the manual says.
9. Open needle valve fully until its roaring.
10. Adjust the regulator up or down unitl you get it stable.
This is how I got MY forge to work. It MAY OR MAY NOT WORK for you. Just adding emphasis to that, its how I got mine to work properly, if that works so be it, if not call Dennis.