I Forge Iron

Vise identification

newbieforge

Hi all,

This is a continuation of my previous topic (http://www.iforgeiro...and-work-bench/) since I couldn't find a way to attach pictures in replies, without using another web site like Photobucket. (I prefer not to use Photobucket, because while reading older posts, I was frustrated at times that pictures shared on Photobucket tend to disappear after a while.)

In response to Frank Turley, from the previous topic:

The legs do have chamfering.

Here is a look at the vise legs:
post-25178-0-34518000-1343099163_thumb.j

They have nice chamfers, and toward the top of the front leg, above the "main" chamfer, there are a couple of semicircular chamfers.

Here is a close-up of the writing:
post-25178-0-79738500-1343099170_thumb.j

I still can't read all of it.
The 1st line might say "JWCODASTON???", or "J.WOOD.ASTONAOS", or... any help in deciphering it would be welcome.

Thanks & all the best,
Markus

newbieforge, Thanks for posting the photos. I'm always interested in the ways old vises were treated. I asked about the chamfers, because when I demoed in Australia in 2005, I saw a number of vises with slight chamfering on the legs, similar to yours. However, it seems that the British vises shipped to the U.S., at least the Peter Wrights, had heavy (more width) chamfering. The fuller marks at the top of the movable leg I had not seen before. A nice touch. Bruce Wilcox, a British smith, suggests that four such fuller marks on old square bodied tools were present so that specific tongs could register in the marks for a good grip.